ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi with 7.10 + Ryzen 7 1700

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sao24006940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Does your system post at all with XMP disabled? If so I would just run it with
XMP off until you get your upgrade, the performance hit is nowhere near as big
as many seem to think. If you still have the issue (needing to reset the system
to boot) with XMP disabled then it's likely just that the 7.10 BIOS has an issue
with your CPU, so long as the system boots and is stable I wouldn't worry about it.

From what I understand the compatibility with 1000 series CPUs is very basic on
the new BIOS versions to make room for 5000 series support. I suspect it could
just be a bug with your particular hardware combination (CPU, RAM etc). As I said
though, so long as the system consistently boots after a reset it should be
fine. AMD added support for new CPUs as a bit of an afterthought so bugs are to
be expected on older CPUs. The intention was to allow a BIOS update so you can
swap out your older CPU for a newer generation one, they never intended the latest
BIOS to be actually used with a 1000 series CPU (it can be done, it just isn't ideal).

Hello Xaltar,

I tried with and without overclocking, XMP, BIOS default config and all of them behaves the same way, but as you mentioned, after the reset button pressed, the PC boot up normally and works fine as with 5.60.
So, I'll wait for a new BIOS fixing this or upgrade to 5600/5600x/5700x depending on prices and firesales.

Thank you.
garbonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garbonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 6:58am
Sorry to hop in on this a year later, but I also have a x370 Taichi with a R7-1700. I picked them up together mainly for the board for my unraid box, with the intention to upgrade to a 3000/5000 series when a good price pops up... pref a R9 b/c of cores, but also maybe another R7.
Anyway, currently IOMMU settings aren't great under unraid, and I suspect may be improved by a bios update, but I don't want to go to 7.x yet because I can't go back and am not sure what support for what chips were removed to make room for the 5000 series... (also, if disabling cores is the "fix" I need to be aware so I don't buy a cpu I can't fully use).. although I still will do more research on my own... when I hit this thread I at least thought I would drop this comment.
So, basically just trying to miss any holes other have fallen into...
I am currently on the OLD (probably what it shipped with or close to it) v2.30 bios, and at a glance I am guessing I can go up to 5.60 w/o loosing any CPU support options (just not getting 5000 series until a v7.x update)... but would like clarity on that since I am not familiar with AMD's code names, I have to keep looking them up to make sure I am not missing anything. (it's confusing enough keeping track of the zen version and the x000 series because they threw that "+" in there that first year, not to mention the notebook skus doing their own thing... I just never learned the codenames as they were coming out, and trying to commit them to memory all at once now is making this confusing)
Anyway, any helpful advice is appreciated, if anyone can recall all this from last summer...
TIA.
-G
sao24006940 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sao24006940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by garbonzo garbonzo wrote:

Sorry to hop in on this a year later, but I also have a x370 Taichi with a R7-1700. I picked them up together mainly for the board for my unraid box, with the intention to upgrade to a 3000/5000 series when a good price pops up... pref a R9 b/c of cores, but also maybe another R7.
Anyway, currently IOMMU settings aren't great under unraid, and I suspect may be improved by a bios update, but I don't want to go to 7.x yet because I can't go back and am not sure what support for what chips were removed to make room for the 5000 series... (also, if disabling cores is the "fix" I need to be aware so I don't buy a cpu I can't fully use).. although I still will do more research on my own... when I hit this thread I at least thought I would drop this comment.
So, basically just trying to miss any holes other have fallen into...
I am currently on the OLD (probably what it shipped with or close to it) v2.30 bios, and at a glance I am guessing I can go up to 5.60 w/o loosing any CPU support options (just not getting 5000 series until a v7.x update)... but would like clarity on that since I am not familiar with AMD's code names, I have to keep looking them up to make sure I am not missing anything. (it's confusing enough keeping track of the zen version and the x000 series because they threw that "+" in there that first year, not to mention the notebook skus doing their own thing... I just never learned the codenames as they were coming out, and trying to commit them to memory all at once now is making this confusing)
Anyway, any helpful advice is appreciated, if anyone can recall all this from last summer...
TIA.
-G

Hello,

When I upgraded my board to 7.x, I didn't lost support to my 1700. Although I started this thread because with was being necessary to push reset button all the time to boot the PC.
Yes, I think the last BIOS version that officially supports first generation is 5.60 yes.

Regards,
garbonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garbonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 10:38pm
Thanks. I moved to 3.30 yesterday, and will do the -> 5.10 -> 5.60 updates probably tomorrow if there is no down-sides that are known for what I aim to do (continue with my 1700 until I run across the right deal on a r7/r9 3000/5000 cpu to replace it with.

Thanks for your reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic