ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme4 Board Diagnostic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DECAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme4 Board Diagnostic
    Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 7:51am
Hello,
I have a Z97 Extreme4 Motherboard with and Intel Core-I7 4790K that is failing to clear POST.

We've taken it out of the case and stripped it down to nothing but the CPU, but still don't get any beep codes.
We've tried two power supplies. The first one will boot loop after starting up for a second or two and wiggling the fans. The other PSU will produce an audible click and occasionally cause the BIOS_A_LED and BIOS_B_LED to flash for a second before turning off.

All pads on the CPU appear to be clear of anything that would cause a short, and I didn't see anything on the board side even before I did a safety pass with a can of air.

Any recommendations about further diagnostic options are hugely appreciated as I don't have another CPU spare to test further.
Thanks,
Dale
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 10:01pm
Dear Decad,

The Debug LED, should give you more info, if this stays at 00, often the CPU is defective.
Or it can be a bricked BIOS, however the board has 2 BIOS chips, and with the microswitch next to the reset/power switch, you can select the other BIOS chip.
If this works, go into BIOS>> Tools, and use Secure backup UEFI to flash the bricked chips
Kind Regards
DECAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DECAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:41am
Thanks threadzipper1957,
I got no lights at all except for an intermittent single flash on both LEDS (every couple of boot attempts) and toggling the BIOS switch had no effect.
Knowing it's that serious definitely helps, so thanks again.

Take Care
Dale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic