ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox N3150 replacing the WiFi/BT card

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beebox N3150 replacing the WiFi/BT card
    Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:17am
I purchased an Intel AC 7260 Wireless/Bluetooth card a little while ago for use in a laptopbut due to unknown reasons, which Intel cannot provide a solution to, it only works part of the time because of (so they say) an incompatibility with my BIOS.

Having purchased a Beebox N3150 and still wanting AC wireless capability in my laptop, it occurred to me that perhaps it is possible to use the Intel card in the Beebox and the Realtek in my laptop.

Looking at the physical elements of the cards from images online, they seem to have the same interface.

So before I try and swap the cards around I thought I would ask if anybody could see any potential issues ahead?

Beebox N3150
Bluesmanuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:20am
Shortly after posting I found that somebody had done this very thing, so went ahead and changed them.

The Intel card works much better in the Beebox and 5Ghz WiFi is improved.

My laptop works with the Realtek first time, every time and oddly enough, WiFi and Bluetooth operate better in the laptop than they did in the Beebox.

Beebox N3150
attak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:48pm

Hi Bluesmanuk,
what OS do you use on Bee and on LapTop?
I use Bee with Ubuntu/openELEC and LapTop (ASUS) with Win10.
Bee have problems with 5G WiFi both in Ubuntu and openELEC.
I also consider your "trick" of buying an Intel AC WiFi and swap the Realtec 8820EA in Bee to it.
Then plant the Realtec in Asus LapTop that has only 2.4 G N WiFi.
Regards:
Attila/HU/BUD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 5:47am
Hi attak

I used W10 on both machines but also Librelec (openelec fork) running from a USB flash drive on the Beebox, which works very well too with both ethernet and WiFi on both 2.4 and 4Ghz.

Would recommend the change if you are having some issue.

There does seem to be Linux drivers for the AC 7260 and others

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005511.html

Beebox N3150
attak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:16pm

Hi Bluesmanuk,
thx for the quick answer. It seems that
AC 7260 and even AC 7265 are well supported in Linux from kernel v4.2 and according to your experience AC 7260 fits better to Bee hardware than the original Realtek 8821AE.
By the way what type of WiFi router you use and what Linux kernel is in your Librelec code?
Regards,
Attila/HU/BUD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:45pm
My router is one provided by my ISP, although from reviews it seems to be a badged Huawei HG635 VDSL 802.11ac.

No idea what kernel is in there but I'm getting it from here.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269815

Beebox N3150
attak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:56pm
Thx for yor reply!
Attila/HU/BUD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic