ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B85M Pro4 non-K bios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elpsychodiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B85M Pro4 non-K bios
    Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 4:32pm
I saw there is a new Beta Bios for the  B85M Pro4.

I use 1.60 Beta for non-K overclock, is the new Beta Bios2.30 able for non-k overclock, too?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M%20Pro4/index.de.asp?cat=Beta

***** Topic moved to Technical Support > Intel Motherboards *****

Edited by parsec - 06 Jun 2015 at 9:55am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 10:24am
Originally posted by elpsychodiablo elpsychodiablo wrote:

I saw there is a new Beta Bios for the  B85M Pro4.

I use 1.60 Beta for non-K overclock, is the new Beta Bios2.30 able for non-k overclock, too?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M%20Pro4/index.de.asp?cat=Beta

***** Topic moved to Technical Support > Intel Motherboards *****

If there was a 1.60 Beta UEFI/BIOS, it no longer exist in the Beta download area. Besides the 2.30 Beta version, the only other Beta version is 1.70a.

Not long after several mother board manufactures, including ASRock, added the non-K over clock capability to some of their Intel chipset boards that did not normally support over clocking, Intel asked them to remove that capability in later UEFI/BIOS versions. I'm sure none of those manufactures ignored Intel's request, since Intel could choose not look favorably on them in future business dealings.

I don't know if the 2.30 Beta maintains the non-K over clock capability, but my guess would be that it does not.

If you value the non-K OC capability, I would not risk losing it by flashing to another, newer UEFI/BIOS version. As I recall, if you flash to a UEFI/BIOS version that removes the non-K OC capability, it also makes changes that permanently lock out the non-K OC capability. Meaning if you flash to a newer version and afterwards the non-K OC feature is gone, flashing the version that added that feature again will not bring it back.

Since I have never done this myself, I may be wrong. But given what I know about this situation, I would be very reluctant to try a newer UEFI/BIOS version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic