ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Phantom Gaming 4: WoL from S5 unreliable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamild1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Phantom Gaming 4: WoL from S5 unreliable
    Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 5:20pm
I have Wake On LAN enabled in the BIOS, so I can boot up the PC from the S5 state. Unfortunately, this feature used to work well on earlier BIOS versions (I can't say for certain which version started it) but it seems broken in the latest stable as of today - I can only wake the PC after a minute or two since poweroff, but it stops listening to these requests after some time passes (at least 6 hours since). Anyone else having this problem?
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 7:02pm
As far as I'm aware, there is no WOL option in BIOS, only PCIE Devices Power On.
What is important to understand is that when you enable this, you must save and exit, and only AFTER the restart, WOL, can be used.
When the power is switched off, you have to start the system, and restart, before this gets active again.
There are some things that are of concern.
When using Fast boot, it doesn't always work.
And Windows fast startup, can also conflict, so personally I always disable it.
In the settings for the LAN chip, or via the Intel software, you can also setup, the WOL activation.
You could try, to create a bootable USB stick with Rufus, and put Ubuntu Linux on it, then via the bootmenu (f11) you can start from the USB stick, and run Ubuntu without installing it, if this works with WOL, it is relted to Windows.
Always start with default BIOS settings, and Enable PCIE Devices Power On, and save it, then check if this works.
Kind Regards
kamild1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamild1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:42pm
Thanks for the response.

It is an option but it's hidden by default, I believe you have to enable "Boot from Onboard LAN" first, then you get new settings on the "Advanced" tab. Screenshot: https://imgur.com/zNXtaFi
I'm aware of how BIOS settings are applied, I have done a full restart before powering off the system to test WOL. It's been several restarts since then. I also have Windows fast startup disabled. After all, it used to work just fine, but it's been a long while since I've had to use it last time, and there's been BIOS updates between that, so I'm blaming it first.
I did find some toggles for WOL in device manager, which I toggled on. And I know there's some settings in Intel PROSet software for WOL, but Intel in its infinite wisdom has decided to discontinue it and it refuses to install on Windows 11, so I can't really use it, unless I install Windows 10 specifically to use this tool. Which I may try since I'm out of options... I'll also try Linux, as you suggested, to see if it's Windows being at fault.
I do have the "PCI Devices Power On" setting enabled.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic