ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E TAICHI RAM Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 5:09pm
Same issue here with and X670E Pro RS with G.Skill 4x F5-6000J3238F16GX2-TZ5NR bought as 2 separate dual kits but with consecutive 4 serial numbers (xxxxxx11157-xxxxxx11160). They even have EXPO profile but indeed were only tested with 2 sticks, like even all sticks. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E%20Pro%20RS/index.asp#Memory

First bios 1.03 even somehow/sometimes has worked but after recommended flashback to 1.11 it even doesn't boot with all 4 sticks of ram. With only 2 all works ok, sad I didn't know this before buying all 4 sticks of ram.
ASRock X399 Taichi/X670E Pro RS
AMD Threadripper 1920X/Ryzen 7 7700X
64GB:2xF5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5S/KF548C38BBK2-64
Samsung 960EVO,970Pro/980Pro
MSI GeForce GTX 1050/Asus GeForce RTX 3080TUF
W10P/W11P
neko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 5:29pm
I also have same issue with x670e steel legend, 7950x and 4 modules 32GB Samsung M323R4GA3BB0-CQKOD(DDR5 PC5-38400).
With 2 modules i can run with bus 6000c36 easily but with 4 modules i can only get bus 3600
Now i am using latest bios version with 1.14.AS06 Beta
ehcbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehcbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 4:53pm
hello all,
I have basically the same problems.

Taichi X670E
AMD 7700X
Trident Z5 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR (actually 2x)
2x Seagate Firecuda 530 NVME

The system does not boot up with double RAM.
Originally it even worked for 2 weeks.
Now it doesn't.
The following BIOS versions are tested:
1.11.AS06
1.14.AS06

no solution so far. So I have to use only one RAM bar in B2.
The board boots and Dr. Debug gives error 15 and error C5.
However, the RAM bars work individually without any problems. A RAM KIT 2x16GB was also purchased.
Unfortunately a very annoying issue.
CiTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CiTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by ehcbaer ehcbaer wrote:

hello all,

So, two kits of two? As has been said, bad idea with DDR5, better get two bigger modules instead of four smaller ones. Plus, 64 GB is only necessary if you use special professional software or workloads that need >32 GB. Otherwise, there is no benefit from just having that much RAM, you'd just make things more difficult for your memory system. The only benefit comes when you have something that actually utilizes that much RAM.

This is weird.

It doesn't even want to work with two modules in A2+B2 now? There is some kind of deterioration in the system. You could check the socket for any bent pins. Now that AMD also uses an LGA socket, the pins are equally as fragile as on Intel, and a lot of them direcly connect to the RAM slot contacts.

What is your PSU (model and age) and what's your CPU cooler?
ehcbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehcbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by CiTay CiTay wrote:

hello all,

So, two kits of two? As has been said, bad idea with DDR5, better get two bigger modules instead of four smaller ones. Plus, 64 GB is only necessary if you use special professional software or workloads that need >32 GB. Otherwise, there is no benefit from just having that much RAM, you'd just make things more difficult for your memory system. The only benefit comes when you have something that actually utilizes that much RAM.

No it is just two 16GB RAM sticks that I bought as an original kit. So one kit AMD EXPO Memory, consisting of two modules. Total capacity = 32GB
It does not matter which module I place in the RAM bank. Both work -but unfortunately not together.

This is weird.

Total. I have claimed the board once completely (exchanged a new X670E Taichi board). The new board now shows the same phenomenon.
Since CPU and RAM work otherwise, my hope is something in future BIOS updates. Unless here are still recommendations to exclude errors otherwise.

It doesn't even want to work with two modules in A2+B2 now? There is some kind of deterioration in the system. You could check the socket for any bent pins. Now that AMD also uses an LGA socket, the pins are equally as fragile as on Intel, and a lot of them direcly connect to the RAM slot contacts.

What is your PSU (model and age) and what's your CPU cooler?

Correct. It does not work if you place the modules in A2 and B2. This is actually recommended in the manual.
The RGB elements of the modules light up during startup. Dr.Debug shows 15 and then C5 (after that nothing happens). The fans on the board remain constant at increased power.

If I place only one module in B2, then after a bios reset first 15 is displayed, then the board apparently learns the memory (different displays change at DrDebug) and at the end the fans regulate themselves to a quiet level and the system boots cleanly.

What else is installed?
CPU: AMD 7700X
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX - 850W
Cooler: EKL Alpenföhn Glacier Water 360 AiO - hand-tightened!
Case: Fractal Tornado
NVME: 2x Seagate Firecuda 530 - in M2_1 and M2_2
SSD SATA3: Crucial MX500 - SATA3_1

Hope this gives a better overview.
ehcbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehcbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 12:30am
ok an update: after I got a new board, I tested everything (really everything) again.

Used a different power supply (Corsair TX 650).
Disconnected all consumers (SSDs, NVME) etc.
CMOS reset again

Here it comes:

With a placement of the two modules (2x 16GB) on B2 and B1 it works even with everything (all periphery) connected.

What do you think?
Does there seem to be an incompatibility of the EXPO modules? If so, should I have to open an RMA request... or will a future BIOS Update help here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic