ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty X99X Killer Slow Post Times

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trialanderror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty X99X Killer Slow Post Times
    Posted: 25 May 2015 at 3:21am
I recently built a new rig and I am seeing slower than normal boot times due to a slow POST. I have timed it several times and the average time from pressing the power button till I see the ASROCK splash screen is 9 seconds. I have tried removing/reseating the RAM, removing the m.2 SSD drive and even turned off the RAM error checking in the BIOS. Nothing I do seems to have any difference. I hit the power button I can see the Dr. Debug cycling through 4-5 codes then the system POST's. Has anyone seen this before? I have flashed the latest BIOS.

Config:
ASrock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Intel i7-4770K
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3000 40896mb x8
Corsair H105 cooler
Corsair HX850 PSU
EVGA GTX 970

***** Topic moved to Technical Support > Intel Motherboards *****

Edited by parsec - 29 May 2015 at 12:23pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by trialanderror trialanderror wrote:

I recently built a new rig and I am seeing slower than normal boot times due to a slow POST. I have timed it several times and the average time from pressing the power button till I see the ASROCK splash screen is 9 seconds. I have tried removing/reseating the RAM, removing the m.2 SSD drive and even turned off the RAM error checking in the BIOS. Nothing I do seems to have any difference. I hit the power button I can see the Dr. Debug cycling through 4-5 codes then the system POST's. Has anyone seen this before? I have flashed the latest BIOS.

Config:
ASrock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Intel i7-4770K
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3000 40896mb x8
Corsair H105 cooler
Corsair HX850 PSU
EVGA GTX 970

***** Topic moved to Technical Support > Intel Motherboards *****

Your system specs don't make sense. You have an ASrock Fatal1ty X99X Killer motherboard, with an Intel i7-4770K? That's a socket 2011-v3 board, and a socket 1150 processor.

POST ends successfully with the single beep of the POST code speaker. Do you have one connected to your board?

I imagine you know the length of POST is influenced by the hardware on the board itself, and the hardware connected to the board, such as memory and drives. Things that slow down the POST process include:

Amount of memory in the board.

You have 32GB, which will take longer to POST even with error checking turned off. Is that the MRC Fast Boot memory option, or something else.

Number and type of drives connected to the board.

Your board has ten SATA ports to check. The only drive you mentioned is an M.2 SSD, which normally should not take longer than other SSDs to complete its POST procedure. What SSD is that? What other drives do you have connected to the PC? Type and capacity details are important. Any optical drives?

USB flash drives and USB interfaces to external drives.

USB flash drives will slow down POST noticeably. If you have a flash drive in the board's Vertical Type A USB 2.0 port, I've noticed that will slow down POST. USB devices besides keyboard and mice will increase the length of POST when connected to a board.

Do you have the BIOS switch set to the 'A' main CMOS BIOS chip?

Are you using the Atheros E2200 network chip?

There are many more than four or five POST procedures that are run during POST. Only the ones that take some time to complete will be visible on the Dr Debug display.

What do you consider a normal POST time? IMO, nine seconds is longer than Intel mainstream chipset boards like Z97. The UEFI/BIOS option called Fast Boot actually shortens POST time, you can try the Fast setting and see if that helps. The Ultra Fast setting can only be used with Windows 8 and a specially configured OS installation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic