ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WRX80 & AMD Threadripper Pro 5975WX - RAM Issue
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

WRX80 & AMD Threadripper Pro 5975WX - RAM Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightpixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WRX80 & AMD Threadripper Pro 5975WX - RAM Issue
    Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 3:47am
Hi,

Currently in the middle of building 3 identical systems. 2 systems are up & working. Running Win 10 Pro Workstation, however they both have an identical issue in that the D1 RAM slot doesn?™t get detected in the BIOS or in Windows. One system briefly detected the module, but after a reboot its not been detected since.

System Specs:
- AMD Threadripper Pro 5975WX
- ASRock WRX80 Creator
- 8x Samsung 32GB 3200MHz ECC Module
- 2x Samsung 870 Evo 2.5??500gb in Raid for Boot
- 1x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB Scratch
- 1x NVidia GeForce RTX 3090?

So far I?™ve tried the following to try and fault find the issue:
- BIOS Update
- Firmware Updates
- Reseated RAM Module
- Moved Modules into the next slot to test if faulty module, but no change, still D1
- Reseated CPU & Inspected Socket, no damaged pins

I?™ve seen a few places that have suggested there is a potential comparability issue between Threadripper and both ASRock WRX80 Creator & Asus WRX80E boards.

A odd quirk is that Windows displays 224GB & 7 of 8 Modules installed. However in the Committed Memory it shows 256GB.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar situation & has a potential solution or knows if it really is an ongoing issue.

I?™d be really surprised if I?™ve ended up with at least two faulty Board or CPU?™s, but I guess that isn?™t an impossibility here.

Any help or advice welcome!
rmartins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmartins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:33am
Hi,
Have exactly the same issue. I have the R2.0 with also eight 32GB ECC samsung nodules.
Did you manage to solve it?
Best
Rolando
lightpixels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightpixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 6:07am
Hi Rolando,

Still no luck, have now got 3 machines all missing one module. Is yours also missing D1?

Going to have another investigation over the next few days, but running out of ideas as to what could be causing it.
rmartins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmartins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:32am
Hi,
I managed to solve my issue.
Actually asrock support was good, and provided some guidelines to troubleshoot the problem.
Beside reseating the cpu, I lowered the torque applied to both the socket and waterblock.
Additional I repositioned one motherboard support pin that was left there from my previous trx40 board. Because I did all this at once I cannot 100% say what fixed it, but I would guess it was the pin shorting the MB.

Hope it helps!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic