ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Booting Automatically when connected to power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Booting Automatically when connected to power
    Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:34am
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with this, it's my first build in about 15 years and everything is working fine except one issue.

I turn off my computer at the power point every night and every morning as soon as i turn the powerpoint back on it starts to boot automatically for about 5 seconds. All the fans and led lights come on and then it just stops. However, when i push the power button on the PC it will boot up normally.

The guy from the shop i bought it from said it's some sort of Pre Post test and this is completely normal for Asrock, Asus and MSI motherboards.

Is this something i can turn off? I can't find any info on it by googling. Does it have a name? is it really normal?

Specs:

Azrock H170M Pro 4 Motherboard
Intel I5 - 6600K CPU
Coolermaster Hyper212x CPU Cooler
600 Watt Coolermaster Power Supply PN RS-600-ACAB-B1 B600 Version 2 Series 80Plus
Kingston kvr21n15d8/8  8GB Ram 2133mhz ddr4
Samsung 850 evo series 250GB SSD
Seagate barracude 2TB 7200RPM HDD
LG BH16NS40 OEM bluray writer
Asus GTX Geforce 970 Video card

Bios/UEFI  P1.00

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:26pm
It sounds like a power loss safety feature. I wouldn't worry about it unless the system was powering on and staying on (booting) in which case the recover from power loss setting in the BIOS is likely set incorrectly. Given it is just performing a self test then powering off again I wouldn't worry about it. 

I did note that you are still using BIOS/UEFI 1.00 but if you are not having any other issues with the system I see no need to update it. 
Mark123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:43pm
I forgot to say its windows 10.
Resume after power loss is disabled in the bios.
Also i disabled fast boot.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Mark123 Mark123 wrote:

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with this, it's my first build in about 15 years and everything is working fine except one issue.

I turn off my computer at the power point every night and every morning as soon as i turn the powerpoint back on it starts to boot automatically for about 5 seconds. All the fans and led lights come on and then it just stops. However, when i push the power button on the PC it will boot up normally.

The guy from the shop i bought it from said it's some sort of Pre Post test and this is completely normal for Asrock, Asus and MSI motherboards.

Is this something i can turn off? I can't find any info on it by googling. Does it have a name? is it really normal?

Specs:

Azrock H170M Pro 4 Motherboard
Intel I5 - 6600K CPU
Coolermaster Hyper212x CPU Cooler
600 Watt Coolermaster Power Supply PN RS-600-ACAB-B1 B600 Version 2 Series 80Plus
Kingston kvr21n15d8/8  8GB Ram 2133mhz ddr4
Samsung 850 evo series 250GB SSD
Seagate barracude 2TB 7200RPM HDD
LG BH16NS40 OEM bluray writer
Asus GTX Geforce 970 Video card

Bios/UEFI  P1.00

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

First, when you turn off the power to the PC (I assume from a power strip/filter, UPS, or ??) what state is the PC in?

Is it in the normal Shutdown state of Windows? Or something else? Do you just turn off the power to the PC without performing a Shutdown?

Imagine you did a normal shutdown of the PC, clicking the Windows Shutdown option, and once the PC actually did shutdown, you then throw the power switch on your "power point" to off.

Or, once shutdown, you could simply pull the AC plug of the PC's PSU out of the AC outlet being used. That is electrically identical in result to what you did, that I described above, right?

(Both of these scenarios have the  power switch on the PSU in the On position, correct? Just a detail...)

Given the two scenarios I described above, yours first and what I'll call mine second, I and a million other PC builders have done what I described above as mine many, many times. We do it every time we work on the PC, remove power to the PC and when done, apply power to the PC again.

Do I get a "Pre - POST" test for five seconds when I do this? No.

What does happen? Nothing. "Pre - POST" test? Never heard of it. Wacko

Ask the guy in the shop to demonstrate a "Pre - POST" test for you. Should be plenty of PCs to choose from at the shop. Some will already be in the Shutdown state, so all that needs to be done is unplug the PSU from the AC outlet, and then plug it in again. "Pre - POST" demo for you. Wink

But, if YOU are not performing a Windows Shutdown, or not allowing it to complete, BEFORE you turn off the power at the power point, THAT is a different situation. You mentioned nothing about a Windows Shutdown before you turn off the power, so this remains an unknown.

If you aren't doing a Windows Shutdown before turning off power to the PC, that does create a "power loss" situation, as Xaltar said. The reaction of the PC in that situation once power is again applied could normally be what you experience.

The PC will start running for a few seconds, until it is at least partially stable, determines it is in a power loss situation, checks what the UEFI/BIOS setting is to do when power is restored after a power loss (usually by default, stay off) and do what it is told, probably turn off.

If you are just turning off the power to the PC without running a Windows Shutdown... why do you do that? Confused  That's not good for the PC, HDDs in particular that need to park the heads. You could lose data that was not flushed/written from the write buffer. HDDs and SSDs will log that in the SMART data as an unsafe shutdown.

The Shutdown procedure is there for a reason, ignore it at your own risk. Ouch

If you are doing a Shutdown first, and then turning off power, something else weird is happening.
Mark123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:32pm
Hi, 

Yes i am doing a windows shut down.  

Start button, then power, then shutdown (windows 10)

Once all the fans and lights are off i turn off the monitor also  then i switch off the power point.

next time i switch on the power point at the wall socket it just starts booting up but no beeps then stops.
After this happens i can press the power button on the pc and then it boots normally.

Also when its shutdown the light on the graphics stays on if i don't turn off at the wall socket.

Note this problem has occured before and after installation of graphics card.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:37pm
I have to be honest here, I also assumed improper shutdown. If as Parsec said you are shutting down the PC correctly and it is in a powered down state when power is cut from the system then something is wrong. Improper shut down could be as simple as turning off the power a split second before the system is properly powered down. 

It was easy to determine before SSDs became common place as most hard disks would make a slight click sound as the heads park once the drives have spun down. Generally it is best to leave the system in a powered off state for about 10 seconds (to be on the safe side) before turning off the PSU/unplugging power or switching off at the wall. There is a reason they always say unplug power, count to 10 and reconnect when rebooting a modem or router by removing power, it can take a few seconds after power down for the ICs on the motherboard to revert to a properly neutral state. This is why the power loss features exist, it powers the system briefly to reset all the ICs and prevent jammed gates which could result in corruption.

This is a bit of an over explanation but may prove insightful to someone reading Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic