ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black Screen + Reboot randomly. Z790 PG Riptide
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Screen + Reboot randomly. Z790 PG Riptide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BagOfMostlyWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Screen + Reboot randomly. Z790 PG Riptide
    Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:35pm
I've done extensive troubleshooting here so I'm probably forgetting what I've done but I'll try to list everything. I'm at my wits end, now either the mobo/CPU/GPU needs replacing to proceed, I think.

Issue: Randomly, my screen will go black and it'll reboot after ~4 seconds. Examples of when it happens:
1. Launching a game
2. Playing a game
3. Browsing around in Chrome
4. Watching a fullscreen youtube video
5. Clicking onto sound icon on Windows taskbar
6. Opening Windows display settings
7. Clicking on Steam's setup.exe
8. Starting to type my password on the Windows login screen.
9. Most of my crashes are outside of games, just clicking around in Windows or Chrome
10. Most of the time I can run games for a long time without any issue. Something else is triggering this.
11. Most of the time it takes a while to repro this crash. Maybe 10min to 1hr. In rare instances it happens quickly and then again right after a reboot.

Specs:
1. Asrock Z790 PG Riptide
2. i5-13600k (no OC)
3. G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6400 F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5K (Running at SPD/Auto 4800Mhz, have not even attempted XMP yet)
4. Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO

Things I've tried (in no particular order):
1. Mobo BIOS version 3.01, 4.10, 4.13 (latest)
2. Fresh Win11 installation
3. Fresh Win10 installation
4. 527.56 Nvidia drivers (latest)
5. Chipset and all other drivers are installed (nothing missing drivers in Device Manager)
6. Two different brand new PSUs (EVGA 1000w SuperNova, beQuiet! 850w). I'm not mix matching their cables either. Everything is fully seated and been re-seated many times.
7. Running outside of my case now to avoid any possible shorts
8. Temps are all good, most crashes happen at idle anyway.
9. Ripped out my m.2 OS drive and installed on a basic 2.5" SATA SSD.
10. Ran with minimal config, one DIMM, then the other DIMM in a different DIMM slot.
11. 4090 vBIOS was already updated to the latest from Zotac's website. The Nvidia vBIOS updater also states it's up to date.
12. memtest86+ passed
13. Running PCIE1 in Gen3 mode instead of Auto (Gen4)
14. Disabled various things in the BIOS, Hyper-V, the onboard KILLER NIC, some other things I'm forgetting. It's mostly default settings.
15. Reseated CPU and re-applied thermal paste (no bent pins).
16. Plugged the PC into the same power socket as my old (known good) PC, and used the same mouse/keyb/monitor/monitor cable. (trying as many known good items as I can).
16. I installed my old 1080 into the new system and it was STABLE.
17. I installed this new 4090 into my new system and it was STABLE.
18. I installed the new 4090 back into the new system, but into PCIE2 slot and it was STABLE. I can only repro this with the 4090 in PCIE1.

The last item suggests something with the 4090 + PCIE1 (which goes to the CPU, NOT the chipset) is triggering this. I can easily get a replacement CPU from Best Buy to test with, but I can't quickly get another DDR5 mobo, let alone another 4090.

Thoughts? Appreciate it!
BagOfMostlyWater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BagOfMostlyWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 3:23am
This setting seems to prevent the issue:
NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Power Management Mode -> Prefer Maximum Performance

However, the GPU fans spin up every few minutes for a few seconds even at idle with this set (annoying). Ran for several hours with this without issue so far and the issue came back after disabling it. Seems like there's a problem with the GPU coming out of low power state and this setting prevents it?
Loukiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loukiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:13pm
Hey I seem to have the same problem with the following setup:

Z690 Aqua OC
SN850X SSD

Random black screens and reboots out of nowhere. It seems the problems start to appear after installing the Nvidia Drivers. If I don't install the Nvidia drivers it seems to be working fine, this might also explain why the Nvidia power management mode or the PCI slot could be an issue.

I tried reinstalling the system several times but the error always reappears and the system is unusable in this state.
Loukiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loukiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:23pm
It seems to be an issue with Intel 13th Gen and the 4090. There are similar reports for MSI Mainboards https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/z790-carbon-rtx-4090-i9-13900k-black-screen-after-installing-nvidia-drivers.380067/ and a beta bios update seems to be able to fix it for them.

Loukiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loukiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:30pm
I just saw that there is a beta Bios for one Asrock Board regarding the 4090 compatibility:

https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=bBIOS

Z690 PG Velocita "Improve GPU compatibility for GeForce RTX 40 series."

Unfortunately no bios for the z690 Aqua OC.
HarD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 5:01pm
I have the same problem with aqua z690 oc 13900ks rtx 4090..

Any fix please?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 9:02pm
I would contact ASRock Tech Support:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

If there is a BIOS fix required it's unlikely anyone on the forums will be able to
help if it isn't already available.
Superdixk3cm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdixk3cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 8:31am
Hello!

Can you PLEASE update me on your issue?? Have you found a fix?? I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!
danechek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danechek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 5:55pm
I have same problem with 13600KF and Z790 PG Riptide.
I have two of these motherboards and RTX 4070 Ti graphics card. The Kingston KC3000 1Tb ssd. From the very beginning, endless reboots, black screen and nothing helps. I also have two KC3000, I tried both.
On one matplate, I updated the BIOS to the latest version BETA (07 feb 2024), on the other to the December version of BIOS, but the problem was not solved on any of them.
RAM as the author of the topic has - g skill 6400 16x2 cl32.
Now I will try on RTX 4070 and g skill 5200 cl36
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic