ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 Pro3 R2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umarkDM1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 Pro3 R2.0
    Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 11:58pm
Hello and happy new year!
I have 970 pro3 R2.0 with the last bios and amd FX 6300. The system is obsolete for a normal work at 2023. I don't wont to throw it away and i decided to build a truenas. I have 32gb ddr3 1066 ECC memory that will be perfekt for stability but the motherboard doesn't support it. Is it a way this board to support ecc memory whit some custom bios or it has a hardware lilitation?
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 6:50pm
Hi

I would recommend you forget the DDR3 ECC support for the 970 Pro3 R2.0 but it all depends on the time and desire you have to investigate.

A good place to start looking for custom BIOS could be Bios-Mods forums

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/

It was helpful to find an unlocked BIOS for my old Dell Inspiron 530 to activate AHCI mode to SSD upgrade but nothing about adding new BIOS features e.g. ECC support, just for unlocking hidden config options ;)

I wish you happy new year and enjoy!!
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 8:12pm
The real question is, does the board even have the traces for the extra bits that carry the ECC bits? DIMM pinouts include pins to carry ECC data.

I think on non-ECC DIMMs, these are not connected to anything (Z), because they don't have the extra DRAM chips to connect them to. Having the extra DRAM chips on the DIMMs wouldn't matters if the board doesn't even have traces to connect them between Memory Controller (CPU) and DIMM. And if they're not connected, no amount of software hack would allow ECC to work.
umarkDM1050 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umarkDM1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:01pm
Thanks for the suggestions and perspectives. I'll check the bios-mods forum because I want the system to be stable with ECC. If the motherboard has hardware limitations like no lanes or something else i will retire it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic