ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boot issues with Z690 Extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot issues with Z690 Extreme
    Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 8:19am
I have set the motherboard to boot from my 970 Evo Plus 2TB drive.
If I plug in a thumb drive it still boots from the 970 unless I press F11.
If I plug in my external 970 Evo Plus 1TB drive the motherboard will boot from that instead of my internal drive - this I do not want.

I want the motherboard to always boot from the interal drive unless I press F11 to select the boot drive.

I've tried several BIOS versions and the behavior is always the same.

And speaking of BIOS versions. All of the versions Tried I cannot get the PC to boot when the mouse is clicked or keyboard pressed. How can I get that to work?

ASRocks tech support just fob me off with "It works fine for us". But it doesn't work for me.

And I've also tried connecting the mouse in different ports.
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:04pm
No Idea, why You think support is fobing You off, because they are absolutely correct, in saying it works.
Just for fun tested with a 2½ Inch SSD with Win 11, and severall bootable USB sticks.
In first instance, it always started from the SSD, and I had to use f11 and select external device, to boot from the USB sticks.
The problem that You describe has to do with Device ID's and bootmanagers, and is not a motherboard related problem.
But it is possible to achieve what You want, by going into BIOS>> Boot, and set the first boot device to Windows bootmanager (or whatever bootmanager is on your internal device) and dissable the rest.
Works 100%, also tested by setting only the external device as boot drive in the BIOS, and it boots nicely into Windows setup, or Ubuntu.
So You're not fobbed, and it is not fair to acuse ASRock tech support.
Would be nice of you to let them know
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic