ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Linux: Enabling SMEE in BIOS leads to boot loop
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Linux: Enabling SMEE in BIOS leads to boot loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linux: Enabling SMEE in BIOS leads to boot loop
    Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 2:17am
Hi!

My system essentially is:
- ASROCK 650M PG Riptide mainboard with the latest BIOS updates 1.11.AS03 [Beta] flashed
- Ryzen 9 7950X cpu
- 64GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-5600 DIMM CL36 Dual Kit RAM

In the BIOS I enabled the SMEE (memory encryption), but when doing so I'm stuck in a boot loop. I see the GRUB2 boot screen, start booting, black screen, again the GRUB2 boot screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 3:21am
According to AMD's own site explaining the "extras" of their PRO line of processors, I see this: "AMD Memory Guard provides real time encryption of system memory to help protect against physical attacks..."

So I wonder if SMEE is only supported with "PRO" CPUs and APUs, disregarding they're all the same silicon dies, but with some features fused off, I guess.

And if so, I wonder if BIOS even allowing you to flip that option on non-PRO CPU is a bug.

But I don't know for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic