ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B660M Steel Legend 13th Gen support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B660M Steel Legend 13th Gen support
    Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 4:58am
Question about newest 13th Gen non k compatibility. Looking up CPU support for this MB shows it supports 13 gen K version chips with latest bios, but doesn't list newest non k chips (13400/13500 etc.) as compatible.

Are the latest 13 series non k chips compatible with this MB and support list hasn't been updated? If not, will there soon be a bios update to support these newest non K series chips?

Thanks, Mike
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 6:12pm
I would guess that they are but could be too much for the VRMs in non ventilated
systems etc. IIRC ASRock got burned in a few reviews for stating compatibility with
K series CPUs when they were throttling under normal use (minimal airflow over the
VRMs).

I can't say for certain however. You can fire a support ticket off to ASRock and
get an official answer from them though:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
Techster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 12:45am
Thanks for the reply. I did send them a support ticket with this question about a week ago and haven't heard back. I do see a couple other ASRock B660 boards on their site that show compatability for the newer non K 1300 chips so I was kind of wondering how accurate their cpu support lists are (up to date). Since these are non K I am referring to (less watts) I assume they would have less of a VRM overheating issue than the K versions. The B660M Steel legend shows "support for 13th gen chips" but they only state compatability with first wave of 13 chips in their cpu support list (K versions).

I'm geeking to upgrade from my 12400f to a 13500 cpu and really don't want to deal with the hassle of getting a chip that won't boot. Maybe I'll wait it out a little longer and see if support gets back....

Appreciate,

Mike

Woody101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:08am
Trying to build a new system with b660m steel legend MB and have a 13600k , reviewing the cpu compatibility list it looks like all the K series Have a red asterisk that says ?œcpu performance may be limited due to power phase design?? Should I just return this board or will it work , seems to have a reasonable VRM 9 phase on board , higher than many others with lesser vrm and don?™t have the red asterisk. Somebody on YouTube was complaining about a recent bios update that effected this board referring to FIVR in bios.?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic