ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z790 Lightning thermal runaway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ubp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z790 Lightning thermal runaway
    Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:18pm
Z790 Lightning with i5 12th gen CPU and 120mm liquid cooling at latest BIOS release. Powered it on this morning after being off for 12 hours and heard fans and pump running at max speed. Phantom Gaming Tuning showed pump running at max but all fans reporting 0 rpm with 200 F degree cpu temp. Powered it off and then back on and everything back to normal. Win 10 Pro 21H2.

Any thoughts on this?
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 10:47pm
It sound like there is an issue with the BIOS settings, maybe memory XMP profiles.
When the system starts, it tries to apply the ettings that are made, but in some cases it just cannot work with that.
I see this sometimes on my own PC at home. and when the room temperature is cold, it gets stuck, when ambient temperature is higher, no problem.
But there is a difference between a coold boot, and a restart, it also happens when I switch off the PSU.
I think it is a combination of things
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic