ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warped Motherboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warped Motherboard
    Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 2:03am
Warped Motherboard

My original B365M Pro4 mobo had a bow to it. The short edges were higher than the center. If I tightened all the mounting screws I was concerned something might crack. Not necessarily the board itself but maybe a copper trace. So I did not fully tighten the screws along the short edges. That was about 3 years ago.

A few months ago a USB2 port died, then a few weeks later another port died. A week ago the mobo failed. I bought a used mobo, same make & model, & it too is warped.

I tightened the 4 screws closest to the CPU, basically securing the board with the heavy hardware (CPU, RAM, rear panel I/O). I left out the 2 screws by the edge which has the headers for the front panel cables (power on, USB2, audio).

The corner by the power on header sticks up about 3/16" and the corner by the audio header sticks up about 1/8".

This makes me wonder if just lightly screwing down that edge on the original board might have caused its failure. IOW maybe over time a copper path or 2 got stretched too much & snapped. I'm just curious if warped boards are common. If you do have one should care be taken screwing it down?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:01am
I always tighten down all the mounting screws, snug, not super tight. Warping to
some degree is common on most PCBs, particularly the ones with fewer layers like
more budget end motherboards. I doubt it caused the issue but I would imagine not
securing it properly would be worse than letting it stay warped. As you noted, over
time the traces could stretch and crack, unlikely but possible. Warping can worsen
over time but I have never had a board warp so much it failed, again though, I always
use all the mounting screws and fully tighten them down.

There is a reason beyond straightening the board out, the mounting holes all have
ground planes, typically these are all connected to one another but some may be
isolated in some designs. Poor ground can cause all kinds of voltage shenanigans.

So yeah, warping is common, I have several boards in my closet that are warped
from various manufacturers. Higher end boards tend to be less susceptible, more
layers = more rigidity and support.

Hope this answers your questions.   
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:17am
Thanks for the reply -
Good point about proper grounding. I'll screw down the other 2 points.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic