ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC not posting/booting. 8600k + asrock z370

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SydB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC not posting/booting. 8600k + asrock z370
    Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 6:53am
After installing an NVME ssd, I decided to change the boot options of the bios but the booting order was not being saved. Well, after reading about cases in which the new bios settings were not being updated properly (I thought that was happening to me), I decided to select LOAD UEFI DEFAULTS and restart the PC with the idea of setting the profile from zero and saving it again. Something as simple as that, but now... well..., now I have no splash screen whatsoever, no windows booting,... nothing.

The things that I have tried so far are:
- Remove the new nmve ssd and place the older sata ssd with the previous os installed.
- Connect several monitors with HDMI, DP and even VGA to the different ports of my GPU an the integrated GPU from the i5 8600k.
- Swap GPU from older pc
- Swap PSU
- Disconnect everything from the mobo leaving only CPU and ram
- Remove one ram stick (one at a time and trying different ram slots)
- Remove all ram sticks and confirm I can hear the expected 3 mobo beep codes
- remove cmos battery for 1min without power cable
- add a jumper to clear to cmos (I know is redundant with previous step)
- changing the cmos battery for a new one

I honestly don't know what's going on. Have I broken my CPU or mobo by just changing bios to the default values???
Any ideas? I'm starting to lose all hope. THANKS!!

PC: i5-8600k, Asrock z370 Extreme 4, 2x16gb ddr4 Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16, PSU Corsair RM650x, Noctua nh-d14, 2xSamsung Evo 850 500gb ssd, case Corsair c70.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 2:35am
Try pulling the CMOS battery, disconnect the power cord and press and hold the power
button for 5 seconds or so. Leave it like this for 10mins then put the battery back
in and try to power on again. If that fails then try putting your GPU in a lower
PCIe slot, the system may have gotten confused with the new PCIe NVMe drive.

Let us know the result.
SydB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SydB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 2:40am
UPDATE: the problem has been solved. It seems the bios got corrupted when loading UEFI default values. It shouldn't have happened, but it did. I brought the pc to the shop and after desoldering & flashing the bios, everything got fixed. 40 bucks for the whole reparation. Could have been worse. At least now I have the latest available bios version...

I wonder why the second bios didn't kick in though...

Anyway, after this episode, this is the last ASSrock product that I'm gonna own.

Thanks for the help!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:35am
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. You are right, loading defaults shouldn't cause
issues like that. It was probably a compounded issue caused by the same thing that
caused your initial difficulties. I am sure ASRock would have helped you resolve the
issue if you had opened a ticket with them. It may be worth opening one now and letting
them know about the issue you had and how it was fixed.

Thanks for the update

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Feb 2023 at 3:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic