ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B650E Steel Legend PCIe 4.0 x8 instead of x16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B650E Steel Legend PCIe 4.0 x8 instead of x16
    Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 5:32pm
Hi. I have a question. On the B650E Steel Legend board, are the PCIe Gen5 lines for the top PCIe 5 x16 slot shared with the Blazing M.2 socket (M2_1, Key M). Currently, I have a GPU connected to PCIE1 and a bootable NVMe drive connected to the Blazing M.2 socket. For the GPU, I have PCIe 4.0 set to x8 instead of x16.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 8:01pm
No. AM5 CPU has 28 lanes, 4 of which are used to connect to the chipset.
16 lanes to PCIe slot1
4 lanes to PCIe slot2
4 lanes to M2_1
----------------------
24 total
And 4 more to the chipset, as mentioned already.

What GPU? Some lower end GPUs only have 8 lanes, like RX-6600*, RX-5500*, RTX-3050, etc. But there was another thread talking about the same issue. Some fixed with reseating the CPU, another fixed with a replacement CPU. I don't remember if there was other solutions.
Senac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 8:15pm
RX-6800XT. Thank you for your reply. So one possibility is already ruled out. I will try reseating the GPU and CPU.
Senac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:19am
Looks like the problem is solved, reseating the GPU helped. It was apparently not pressed down enough before.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:45am
Good to hear. These modern connectors are doing a lot, because the signal rate is so high. I also had a problem some months ago where cleaning the connector contacts with alcohol fixed it. I'm much more careful about not touching any exposed contacts these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic