ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H610M-HVS without monitor£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iseeallblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H610M-HVS without monitor£
    Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:58am
Hi all,

I've built a small system with a intel celeron G6900T sitting on a H610M-HVS motherboard. Memory is 2x16GB from Aegis, boot disk a Kingston M.2 NV2 NVM2, 250GB. I'm using the on-chip graphics of the cpu.

I attached a VGA monitor and installed a manjaro linux system without any issues.

The box was intended to work as backup server, running out of sight in a corner,
I detached the monitor and put the box away to it's place. On the next boot, I got
five medium-to-long beeps and the computer didn't boot up further. I did some tests and found out that it will boot up correctly only if a monitor is connected, even if the monitor is not connected to power. I assume the board checks the ID bits of the VGA connector for a monitor.

I did not find any settings in the EFI boot configuration which would allow me to boot the box without monitor attached.

Questions:
1. Did I miss the appropriate setting in the EFI boot configuration menu?

2. is there any other option to use the MB without monitor in the configuration   
   described above (particularly without external graphics card).

3. if the answer is no to question 1. and 2., is it possible to fool the board
   with just a VGA connector with the ID bits connected properly?

I don't want to dump the new board...

Thanks a lot in advance
iseeallblack
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 12:00am
Hi,

When the board starts, UEFI sends out a signal, and all hardware, must reply with information, including the monitor, so tricking the BIOS, is not really an option.
But there is an easy way, to fix this, just google for HDMI Dummy Plug, and for a few Euro's you will find one, that emmulates a 4K monitor.
Then it should work
Kind Regards
iseeallblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iseeallblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 3:40am
Hi,

thanks a lot! I assume the dummy plug will do something like I want to try with
just "faking" a monitor, so I hope this will work.

Nevertheless, Iin my opinion it's a bit braindead to prevent a system from
booting if only components are missing which are not necessary in the first
place. Ok, I can live with that.

Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic