ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - B450M PRO4 - How to get HDMI 1080p on 3rd monitor£
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M PRO4 - How to get HDMI 1080p on 3rd monitor£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJMonkey77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M PRO4 - How to get HDMI 1080p on 3rd monitor£
    Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 8:34pm
I have 3 monitors, one is a Viewsonic 27" and one is my LG TV in the living room; these two are on duplicate display and work great.

I have a third monitor(another Viewsonic 27") but only have the D-sub port left on the motherboard. This of course does not let me go up to HDMI 1080p. I tried one vga to hdmi converter but it did not work and then died, so maybe was just faulty. I was looking at USB to HDMI stuff but it seems that's only for Thunderbolt capable slots, and it doesn't look like this board can handle that.

How can I go about getting my third monitor up to 1080p capability?? Can I install a Thunderbolt PCI card in this? What else can I do? Are there vga to hdmi converters that will do the job?

Ryzen 5 2400G
16 GB G-skill RAM
Windows 10 64-bit
SJMonkey77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJMonkey77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 8:37pm
FYI, I'm not gaming on this, just browsing and for work.
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 1:36am
Hi

First of all I don't have any experience with AMD APUs like the 2400G, just proposing what I would do in order of preference:

1 - Open an AMD support request asking if the 2400G can offer video output simultaneously to your 2 x Viewsonic + LG providing displays and system specifications.

2 - Look for an Active VGA to HDMI adapter designed for VGA video output and NOT for HDMI output, maybe like this

https://plugable.com/products/vgam-hdmif/

... perhaps AMD may be able to recommend you an adapter, I have no experience with VGA adapters and can't guarantee it will work for you but I trust Plugable, good DP to HDMI adapters.

3 - If AMD confirms that 2400G can do it and having the right adapter you still without succeed then open an ASRock support request, sure they'll try to help you.

Good luck

X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJMonkey77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:11am
Is there anything special required for that USB connection on the plugable? I know it's supposed to provide power but will any USB port do that or only special ones?
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:28am
Seems no special USB ports needed, is 2.0 specification. Maybe in the Plugable forums you'll find more accurate info

https://support.plugable.com/
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 7:44pm
First, Ryzen 5 2400G is perfectly capable of supporting triple [digital] displays. I have a Lenovo M715q Gen.2 with Ryzen 3 PRO 2200GE (close enough), with 3x DisplayPort outs that work fine. It's just that AsRock chose to have DVI, HDMI, and VGA outputs on that motherboard, rather than other digital output options. I'm surprised AsRock even bothered to have three outputs. Most boards these days just have two (DisplayPort + HDMI).

There are USB display adapters that are actual "display devices," but as far as I know, they're all... not very good. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BF939PS9/ <- No, I'm not recommending anyone buy it. It's just an example.

They might work okay for text work. I doubt they'd do well with lots of motion (e.g. videos), and even when they work, I imagine it'll waste a lot of CPU resources, because USB wasn't really meant to be support a display device.

I agree with SerchTech, in that I think your best option is to get a quality VGA->HDMI (active) adapter. Since you're converting digital -> analog -> digital (and then again to analog because human eyes are analog), there will be some losses, but well, we get what we get.

I tried looking for a cheap (GT 710/730/1030) with triple digital outputs and wasn't able to find one. Cheapest I found with triple digital output was over $100 : https://www.newegg.com/biostar-radeon-rx-550-va5505rf41/p/27N-002J-00007?Item=9SIAWFGJSN1077

Sure, it's probably possible to enable both APU's iGPU and a cheap external GPU, but that likely brings with it, additional complications.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SJMonkey77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 7:59pm
I guess I'll give that Plugable a chance that SerchTech mentioned. Hopefully I don't end up w/ a dud. Thanks everyone, I'll report back if there's any issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic