ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AX1650X wifi driver issues on B550 Taichi Razer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AX1650X wifi driver issues on B550 Taichi Razer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomthebotfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AX1650X wifi driver issues on B550 Taichi Razer
    Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 8:53pm
Hi!
I recently started getting issues with my Wifi on the B550 Taichi Razer Edition. It has a Killer/Intel AX1650X wifi chip.

Whenever I start up a game, or pretty much any 3D application, while having my Wifi connection up and running, it crashes the entire computer without a BSOD. This either happens instantly or within the first few minutes of gameplay. With the Wifi off, the game plays fine.
Also, it happens kind of randomly when I'm not playing any games, usually after several hours, the entire system just crashes without an error code.

It gets weirder though: sometimes it would instantly crash whenever I connected to a Wifi network. Also, updating or uninstalling the driver would also sporadically cause a crash during the update process, without a recongizable pattern. Even when the Wifi module disabled in BIOS crashes occur, and it takes me several restarts to get it to run stable.

The things that I have tried so far are:
-Reinstalling the Wifi Driver (more times than I can count)
-Trying different driver versions (currently 2 are available)
-Updating/reinstalling graphics driver
-Updating BIOS
-Clearing CMOS
-Resetting Windows
-Running Driver Verifier
-Disabling Wifi/Bluetooth/LAN in BIOS, every combination
-Disable XMP/Tested memory

I've crashes like 40 times, and haven't gotten a single BSOD error message. My crashdumps are empty.

I'm kind of at the end of my rope here, since I can't get an error code and there is barely any pattern. It's also a problem that just kind of showed up at one point in time and I'm not sure why. I am thinking about giving it a final go by clean reinstalling Windows.
Should I look into RMAing the board?
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 7:34pm
There is an easy way to test, if this is OS related.
Create a bootable USB stick with Rufus, and put Ubuntu Linux on it.
Then in te boot menu (f11) select the USB stick and run Ubuntu from the USB stick.
If this works fine, it is likely OS/drivers related.
Always test with defauklt BIOS settings, and preferably use a wired USB keyboard and mouse.
If it also in Ubuntu and with Wired USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work, contact thje seller, and return the board
Kind Regards
tomthebotfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomthebotfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by threadzipper1957 threadzipper1957 wrote:

There is an easy way to test, if this is OS related.
Create a bootable USB stick with Rufus, and put Ubuntu Linux on it.
Then in te boot menu (f11) select the USB stick and run Ubuntu from the USB stick.
If this works fine, it is likely OS/drivers related.
Always test with defauklt BIOS settings, and preferably use a wired USB keyboard and mouse.
If it also in Ubuntu and with Wired USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work, contact thje seller, and return the board

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by deleting every partition and installing it from a USB. The issue persists unluckily. I also tried pretty much every version of the driver available and the crashes still occur.
I'll install Ubuntu and see if that fixes it even though I doubt its a software issue at this point :/ Shame because I really like this board, I don't want to send it back ;)
tomthebotfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomthebotfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:29am
Yeah, I don't understand the problem. Crashes occur even when the Wifi module is fully disabled in the BIOS. Is it possible that it is a driver issue when Windows doesn't even see the driver? Troubleshooting is horrible without crash logs or error codes.

I truly am lost. Yesterday it would run fine if I simply disabled the driver before starting up a game. Today it instantly crashes with Wifi fully disabled.

I can't RMA yet because I need the computer for a few weeks. But is it possible it's a hardware issue?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic