ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 + FX-9590

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 + FX-9590
    Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 4:00pm
I was wondering if I could get some assistance with my rig as it is not playing ball right now.

My System:
ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 on 1.70 BIOS
AMD FX-9590 CPU
Corsair 100i Water Cooler
AMD R9 2400 DDR3 8gig 2x4gig AMP Profile
Corsair GS800 PSU
AMD R9 280X Powercolor Graphics Card
120GB Agility4 SSD
4 x 2TB WD Green drives for storage.
Corsair 330R Case

My Issue:
Running on the default BIOS settings chugging at 4.7GHZ the PC is steady as a rock, 
But this is a 9590 so I want 5GHZ, so I applied the settings ASRock recommend for this board

AMD Turbo Core Technology: Disabled
CPU Multiplier x25.0 5000MHZ
CPU Voltage 1.4v
NB Freq Multiplier x11 2200MHZ
CPU NB Voltage 1.125v

And yes it goes to 5GHZ but load Prime95 and hit start and it instantly locks up.

I have turned of CL1, CL6, Cool'N Quiet same happens, 

ASRock recommend a 1000w PSU for their demo rig, could this be my downfall or is there something I am perhaps overlooking?

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to fine tuning and any advice would be appreciated.
Shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 5:09pm
Have you tried stepping the voltage for the CPU up from the setting you showed here? Not all CPUs are made equal. Even if they are the same model, some are better at OC while others have a limited window. Try a bump in voltage and see if that helps.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:14pm
Greetings, this is ASRock technical supports department.

We tested the FX-9590 can turbo to 5GHz with BIOS default settings.
Please refer the picture as below:

We recommend you to use another CPU-loading program to test(SP2004....etc), thank you.

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD
danic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:08pm
When I first got my fx-9370 it would not work very well with Auto bios settings. Thermal protection would kick in right away and would clock down to 3.8ghz. In benchmarks fx 9370 preformed worse than my 1090T I replaced.  So I went into bios and left everything 'auto' except multiplier of 22 (4.4ghz) and thermal protection off. Once I booted I noticed when the CPU was under load the voltage was very high (1.55ish). If I used Prime95(or any load program) right when I hit the start button it would crash the pc. Fortunately I had voltage monitor software on my second monitor and saw that the CPU Voltage spiked to 1.61+ volts. After many many hours of guess and check, a value of 100% on CPU Load-Line Calibration was best, and Disabled was the worse. Also there is a huge drop in voltage if I compare the value from bios to the values  reported in windows. Right now I'm at 1.575 in bios and 1.49 in windows. Only way I can get stable 4.7ghz. I hope your final stable voltage is lower than mine.

I was also using Corsair 100i when I first got this processor but it barely pull it off. I was pushing 70C in most games (prime95 was worse). Upgraded to noctua nh-d14, no better. Then I upgraded to Swifttech 240x and wasn't any better. I'm currently upgrading  to a custom water cooling (2x 240 radiators and new EK cpu block).

I'm jealous of tech support screenshot running at 4.7Ghz with 1.45volt

Good Luck

Edited by danic - 16 Jun 2015 at 11:11pm
Johnnymaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnymaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:40pm
Hello!

So you say, CPU NB 1.125 Volts are set bz default on your mobo ?

I have 1.325 on FX990 Killer for 9370FX as default, which seems a bit strange to me, but its not unstable so far.

Tech support, could you please try to provide info, what is considered "safe CPU NB voltage for FX 9000 series CPUs?
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 8:01pm
Hello RichieJC!

Maybe you are still in need of advice. Well, I have to tell you, it is not that easy to have all 8 cores at 5 GHz permanently. I don't know who at ASRock gave you this recommendation, but just setting 1.4V for the CPU at 5 GHz will not suffice and it seems that you have misunderstood something about that 5 GHz.

The CPU has a 4.7 GHz base clock and a 5.0 GHz turbo clock. That means it basically runs at 4.7 GHz, while 5.0 GHz is exceptional if certain conditions apply at that moment: temperature, power need, threads and correct BIOS settings.

While in turbo mode with generally just 1 core (a single thread), this core needs a lot more power so it might peak at over 1.5V, while the other cores stay at their default voltages.

At stock settings this CPU already is in need of a decent air cooler and a very good voltage regulation module (VRM) & cooling on the motherboard. Raising voltages is difficult to keep it cool enough and stable. There are several forums that discuss the matter "8 cores @ 5 GHz". It is not that simple. You have to tweak a whole bunch of settings (LLC for example) to get it in that direction.
For a start, to activate Turbo correctly, you have to enable C6 option in the BIOS. Without it, it does not work:
ASRock > Fatal1ty 970 Performance FAQ

Then the CPU has a 5 GHz "spike" at certain conditions. Maybe not what you wanted to achive, but maybe a small goodie for the moment, to know that it runs as it should! :)
And about thet 1000W PSU, if you have a decent make and model and not a no-name thing, less can be enough, depending on your graphics card and other components. I.e. I use 800W Be Quiet E10 with a Radeon 290 GPU and if you don't use a 250W Graphics card like me, even a 600W PSU will make it. Just count 220W for the CPU (non-overclocked!), n Watts for your GPU, 100W for the rest and a savety margin of at least, say 20%. Under full load (CPU + GPU benchmark full-load) you should have at least 20% reserve in my opinion. That means, if you use 500W then use at least a 600W PSU.

Edited by WKjun - 19 Aug 2015 at 8:39pm
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:35pm
Hello danic!

These voltages you describe are way to high! No wonder you cannot do anything with it. Therefore it has nothing to do with the used cooling solution. Raising voltages on a FX CPU lead to exorbitant higher temperature.

Usually I would have told you to check for available BIOS updates, but be careful that the CPU does not overheat in BIOS! It may shut you system down withough warning if you exceed a certain temperature while updating the BIOS! On the other side, I cannot recommend undervolting. Make an error there and you might end up with a corrupt BIOS or freezes while you update!

If your temp stays below 70° for some minutes idling in BIOS, then I would recommend the BIOS update. Previously Load Defaults in BIOS as well as Save & Exit to apply the new settings.

If you don't update then also Load Defaults in BIOS as well as Save & Exit to apply the new settings. Then look for any Auto-OC options, especally "CPU Offset Voltage" which in my case was "+50mV" instead of none/+0mV on my 970 Performance board. That resulted in CPU temps >60° in BIOS which is unacceptable. This offset would raise voltage in any situation and sounds like your situation.

After that, a NH-D14 ist a perfect fit for this CPU. No need of a water cooling system with noisy pumps and crappy fans. My experience with the best Antec model 1-2 years ago is, that it resulted in 10-15(!) degree higher temps than the Noctua top model! While the Enermax and Corasir models had these temp ranges too, they suffered from noisy pumps. That may be different today.

Hello Johnnymaster!

Usually the CPU-NB voltage ranges between 1.125V and 1.275V.
If you have not modified anything, a higher CPU-NB voltage could be set because you have used AMP/XMP memory profiles to achive 2133 or 2400 MHz. This sets it between 1.35-1.40V automatically because the CPU-NB clock needs to be 2200 or 2400 MHz respectively. Savely you may use up to 1.35V. Above that, opinions differ on this questions. However, I think your voltage level is fine and save.

Edited by WKjun - 19 Aug 2015 at 9:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic