ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z97 Extreme4 NVME shows in Bios but not Hard drv
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme4 NVME shows in Bios but not Hard drv

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comandoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme4 NVME shows in Bios but not Hard drv
    Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:28am

When I add my new Intel 670P to motherboard and boot it tries to boot from the NVME instead of from my Hard drive.

Under Boot Options it shows Intel SSDPEKNU01012
Nothing else. No hard drive and no dvd drive.

When I pull the NVME off from the motherboard
it boots the normal way with Boot Options Hard drive and Dvd drive.

I want to boot off hard drive and also have the NVME available so I can clone the hard drive onto the nvme.
After I do that I want to pull the hard drive off and boot from the NVME from then on.

I have 2.60
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:48pm
M.2 and SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 share lanes, so don't connect SATA devices to these two ports, when using the NVME, M.2
Since BIOS 2.40 NVME M.2 should be supported, but, you can only do this, when tyhe OS is installed in UEFI (GPT) Mode, and on some odler OS, it can be, that You have to install drivers.
Cloning the harddrive to the M.2, will cause a conflict, there can be no 2 bootdevices at the same time.
Your HDD, will likely receive drive ID0, and the M.2 will get Drive ID1.
But 2 disks with the same OS, will not work, the Windows bootmanger will then decide, from which device to boot.
Actually it would be far betetr to have Windows on the M.2 which uses 2 PCIE 2.0 lanes, but still will be faster, than a HDD.
What You want to accomplish, is only possible when You Use 2 SATA HDD's or SATA SSD's, and would be RAID1, which means, both disks are in mirorring mode.
Using an M.2 for backup is not a good ideam, because a harddisk will detect, if it is getting defective via the Self Monitoring Analysis Reporting Tool SMART.
M.2 and 2 one and a half Inch SATA SSD also support SMART, but in reality , suddenly are not accessible anymore, and also cannot be fixed.
For a Backup, a harddisk is far betetr then any electronic media
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic