ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PCIe USB3.1 card isn't recognized (or worse)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrock-pdx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCIe USB3.1 card isn't recognized (or worse)
    Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 12:22am
I recently purchased a x670E PG Lightning motherboard. I'm upgrading from a >10 year old system so the advancements in everything are really nice to see.

I have a 6800XT as the GPU as well as 32gb of RAM, powered by a Corsair 750x. Everything runs nicely.

I am trying to utilize an older PCIe 3.1 USB card to add 2 more USB ports.

The one I have is this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018YS9GUY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a powered card and I have SATA power connected to it. It worked fine on my very old Intel mobo running Windows 7.

Because of the size of the GPU, I only have 2 PCIe slots to choose from. (The mini slot is completely blocked).

If I place it in the one furthest from the GPU, Windows just doesn't acknowledge it exists. No 'missing driver' errors or anything. It doesn't recognize anything put into the port.

If I place it into the open slot closest to the GPU, the computer won't POST.
There are 2 error LEDS that light up, I believe they are VGA + DRAM.

I had been running a slight undervolt, so I reverted to stock settings, and even then I get the exact same results.

Any suggestions?
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 7:02am
Looking through the Amazon listing, it apparently requires PCIe x4.
The board has 4 PCIe slots, from closest to CPU.
PCIe #1 is x16 (physical & electrical), directly to CPU. Best for GPU.
PCIe #2 is x1 (physical & electrical), through chipset.
PCIe #3 is x4 (physically x16, but electrically x4), directly to CPU.
PCIe #4 is x1 (physically x16, but electrically x1), through chipset.

So if Amazon description is correct, your card will only work in slots #1 and #3. Obviously, you should keep the GPU in #1 slot.

You say computer won't POST if you put it into #3 slot. My best guess at it is either the card is not fully inserted into the slot due to slight misalignment between motherboard and case (happens a lot), or it's just not compatible for some reason.

Are you already using all the USB connectors on the motherboard? If not, you can buy something like this to get two USB3.2 Gen1 ports:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJPUI5W/
(I'm not endorsing this particular item. It just came up on the search.)

Board also has a newer USB-C connector, for more recent cases, but if your case doesn't have a USB-C connector, you can use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TGF4XCJ/
(Again, I'm not endorsing this particular item.)
asrock-pdx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrock-pdx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:10am
That's a simply outstanding explanation. Thank you so much.

I'll re-investigate placing it into slot #3 one more time, but the add-on direct to mobo connectors are an affordable option for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic