ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intel i7 5930K maxed out @ 3.8Ghz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intel i7 5930K maxed out @ 3.8Ghz
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 4:59am
I have the X99 OC Formula MB and can't OC the 5930K beyond 3.8 Ghz with several different CPU settings some of which were recommended online. Before I sell the processor and buy another one, is there anything else in the system that could create instability at 4 Ghz & above?  I have good Corsair memory but an older video card. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by rrussell rrussell wrote:

I have the X99 OC Formula MB and can't OC the 5930K beyond 3.8 Ghz with several different CPU settings some of which were recommended online. Before I sell the processor and buy another one, is there anything else in the system that could create instability at 4 Ghz & above?  I have good Corsair memory but an older video card. 

My OC of an i7-5820K to 4.4GHz on an ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board was the easiest OC I've ever done, besides over clocking an i7-2600K, which can be done with your eyes closed.

An "OC" of 3.8GHz on an i7-5930K is only one step above the max Turbo frequency of this processor, 3.7GHz. If your CPU was the problem, it must be the worst one ever to get past Intel QC.

Just to be 100% clear, your OC issue above 3.8 - 4.0GHz is one of stability? That is, the OC crashes during CPU stress testing, or using Windows?

Please give us your definition of stability, so we know what you mean. For example, someone could say their OC is unstable if the CPU temperature reaches 90°C+ while running Prime95 with AVX2 instructions for hours.

OC stability usually means successful long term CPU stress testing, no BSODs while performing CPU intensive tasks in Windows, or Windows not crashing while lightly using the PC.

Have you tried any of the built-in OC profiles in your board's UEFI/BIOS?

I'm sorry to say, but your comment about using CPU settings that were recommended online, gives me the impression that you are not experienced at over clocking. Your board, while a great tool for over clocking, is also a sophisticated and complex tool that is not meant for casual users that are not familiar with over clocking, and the unique features this board has to offer. Spending some time reading the manual and experimenting with this board is all that is needed to be prepared to use it, but "cookbook" over clocking with this board is not a good idea.

For example, I've dealt with user of various OC Formula boards that were unaware of the various DIP switch settings that control some of their features. One quick change of one switch cured their "issue".
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 2:21pm
I have to agree with Parsec here, the OC Formula series are hardcore overclocking boards that tend to have by far more comprehensive overclocking features than other motherboard series. On the up side, that likely means you have overlooked something that is preventing you from getting higher clocks.
bshagen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bshagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by rrussell rrussell wrote:

Curious, which BIOS are you on?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic