ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do I troubleshoot a new build that won't start
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I troubleshoot a new build that won't start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gthomassen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I troubleshoot a new build that won't start
    Posted: 10 May 2016 at 1:31am
I just built a PC with the ASRock Z170M Extreme 4 and Intel i5 6600k. I've got everything installed into a new case with a new power supply, new cpu cooler, new RAM and my existing samsung 840 SSD drive. Have checked that everything is connected correctly numerous times. 

I push the power button and the case lights come on, the case and CPU cooler fans start spinning and....nothing. There is no beep or anything from the motherboard to tell me it is starting up and the monitor doesn't come to life (even when i have it manually search all the inputs).

There don't appear to be any lights on the motherboard itself to tell me anything. I tried both the built in video (via DVI port) and also my old video card (via DVI) and neither makes any difference. 

Any ideas how I troubleshoot where the problem is? Could the motherboard be DOA or the CPU? How can I tell?

Any help would be appreciated.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 2:27am
Welcome to the forums.

For a start, recheck everything is connected correctly.

1. Be sure you have the CPU oriented correctly in the socket and that the retaining latch is properly secured.
2. Make sure your RAM is firmly seated in slots A2 and B2
2. Make sure your CPU power connector is attached (the 8 pin one at the top right of the board near the IO panel)
3. Make sure that you do not have an 8 pin PCIe power connector hooked up to the CPU power connection (the connectors look similar).
4. Clear CMOS using this method.

Let us know how it goes.
gthomassen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gthomassen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 4:19pm
Thanks, everything is working now. I don't now what was wrong, but I took everything apart and started over building everything back up again and everything works now. 

Tonaccus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonaccus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 1:24am
I did what you said, didnt work. Then I rebuilt it, everything is perfect. Now I'm flashing it again. I dont think it's going to work... just for giggles, what's the next step you would tell me to do?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic