ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - z97 extreme6 uefi setup utility - storage configur
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z97 extreme6 uefi setup utility - storage configur

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z97 extreme6 uefi setup utility - storage configur
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:18am
Q re z97 extreme6 uefi setup utility - storage configuration:
Sata Controllers - disable: 
1. does this affect an SM951 drive in the ultraM2 slot? i.e. does it disable it?
2. if not, does it disable all SATA drives?
Thanks
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by CrazyDingo CrazyDingo wrote:

Q re z97 extreme6 uefi setup utility - storage configuration:
Sata Controllers - disable: 
1. does this affect an SM951 drive in the ultraM2 slot? i.e. does it disable it?
2. if not, does it disable all SATA drives?
Thanks

Does disabling the SATA controllers in the UEFI affect a SSD in the Ultra M.2 slot?

I doubt that it would disable a SSD in the Ultra M.2 slot, but I've never tried that. Let's find out...

No, disabling the SATA controllers did not disable my SM951 in the Ultra M.2 slot. My SM951 was still recognized in Storage Configuration, and in the Boot screen.

Yes, disabling the SATA controllers disabled all the SATA drives I have connected. You must save and exit the UEFI after disabling the SATA controllers for the SATA drives to be no longer recognized.

That's a nice method of disabling all the SATA drives if you want to install an OS on a SSD in the Ultra M.2 port.

Any reason you are wondering about this?
CrazyDingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
Thanks parsec,

Just the reason you stated - disabling all the SATA drives if you want to install an OS on a SSD in the Ultra M.2 port - a little down the track.  (If there was a similar method of just disabling the drive in the Ultra M.2 port that would likewise be handy - I am correct in thinking there is not one, or did I just miss it?)

I didn't want to run the experiment myself in case I hit unexpected trouble.

Kind regards.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by CrazyDingo CrazyDingo wrote:

Thanks parsec,

Just the reason you stated - disabling all the SATA drives if you want to install an OS on a SSD in the Ultra M.2 port - a little down the track.  (If there was a similar method of just disabling the drive in the Ultra M.2 port that would likewise be handy - I am correct in thinking there is not one, or did I just miss it?)

I didn't want to run the experiment myself in case I hit unexpected trouble.

Kind regards.

Thanks a lot CrazyDingo, it's Ok for me to experiment with disabling the SATA ports, in case I had a problem... Wink LOL

I had no problem disabling and then enabling the SATA ports. If you boot into Windows from the Ultra M.2 port with all the SATA drives disabled, if you have shortcuts to programs on the SATA drives, or use one as your download drive or page file drive, etc, then your PC won't work as it normally does, of course.

If there's a way to disable the Ultra M.2 port, I'm not telling you... Geek

Just joking, there is no way to do that on the Ultra M.2 port.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic