ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Networking Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

G10 Guest Networks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eghuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G10 Guest Networks
    Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:05am
The guest network capability allows entering 0 for the time limit, but entering that value seems to not make the network active.  I'm starting to experiment with IOT devices and I want a persistent network separated from my normal wireless network.  Is there a way to have  persistent "guest" networks?

Edited by eghuff - 19 May 2016 at 11:07am
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:48am
We'll add an unlimited option in next FW
eghuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eghuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:42pm
I am running the beta version of this FW, and it seems to work just fine.  It would be useful to understand if there are restrictions on what the devices attached to the guest network.  I have been trying to use a guest network for several IoT smart plugs, but there are issues with the plugs being able to connect to the manufacturer's server when attached to the guest network, plus the plugs can't be set up on a guest network.  Rebooting the G10 will allow the devices on the guest network to connect to the server.

From what I've observed, the IP addresses for all devices are allocated from the same address space. The devices on the guest network can see each other, but cannot see devices not on the guest network.   Devices on the guest network cannot access the admin interface on the G10.  The G10 admin interface shows all the devices on all the networks.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:34am
Please download our V1.70b FW, We add an unlimited option.
eghuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eghuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:50pm
Glad to; please send me a link to download.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:54pm
You can grab the latest firmware here.
eghuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eghuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:42am
1.70b works just like the 1.69 I was running.  My IOT devices connected to the persistent guest network with no trouble.  If only my G10 would find my Cisco cable modem after rebooting without having to power cycle the modem...  I'd love to be able to use the G10's self  healing feature without having to get a mechanical timer to power cycle the modem after the G10 reboots.
eghuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eghuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 11:58pm
I am currently running the 1.87 firmware, but there is still some issue with the guest network.  I created a guest network specifically for my voice assistants.  My Echo Dot works fine on the guest network.  My Google Home won't connect on the guest network; both Google Home and Echo connect fine on the G10 base wireless network.

I experience the same issue with my D-Link switches; they work fine on the base wireless network, but will not set up on the guest network.  Some protocol is being interfered with by the guest network.  The purpose of a guest network is to isolate guest devices from the base network while still allowing access to the internet.  The G10 is somehow inhibiting guest devices from accessing the internet in some cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic