ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z170 Extreme 7+ and Trident z 3200 o/c

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:57am
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

No luck,...will not post successfully,...at least at auto volts. I have MCR off and even moved to BIOS 3.00. This config is very stable at 4.6 cpu and 3466 ram,...very happy and the board feels good and solid.

I wouldn't feel bad about that either.

I revisited 3600 as you know, but while I said "no problem" it's just at the edge of stability.

I must keep the VCCSA voltage at 1.250V (actual according to the UEFI and HWiNFO, 1.280V) and VCCIO at 1.150V (actual 1.176V.) DRAM voltage must be set to 1.350V (actual 1.376V) too, or stress testing will fail. That's using the timings for 3200 (16 18 18 38 2T).

The TridentZ GTZ 3600 timings are 17 18 18 38 2T (my memory is the cheaper GTZB), and of course no idea what the rest are.

I'm not thrilled about the high VCCSA and VCCIO voltages at 3600, I can run 3200 at much less of each.

This 3200 TridentZ 4GB x 2 is going for $52 now at Newegg, so I can't complain. I really don't see the board as being the limiting factor.

Hey, why don't I try 3400 or 3466... well duh! Wacko

Edited by parsec - 26 May 2016 at 9:58am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:29am
Running 3466 now, seems Ok so far, not tested yet.

Set VCCIO to Auto, and I'm looking at 0.976V in HWiNFO right now! How can that be? Confused

Question for you, how does the 3.00 UEFI seem for you regarding the freezing issue that can happen?

For me it seems better, possibly not perfect since I had a... hesitation I'll call it. I was moving around the UEFI screens and it seemed to freeze. But in a few seconds it responded, and I finished and exited fine.

It seems the freezes happen, for me at least, in two situations:

After adjusting a memory setting in DRAM Configuration, that is an OC or not stock/Auto value. That is of course before it is actually applied by a Save and Exit. Are memory settings applied immediately in the UEFI now? Very strange if true, I doubt it.

Moving around the UEFI screens very quickly. If I take my time, I have no problems.

Could be worthless observations, but that's what my experience is.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:27am
Your memory timings are tighter than mine. IIRC mine are 18,18,18. That voltage is default 2133! You have a special ram kit.
I flashed 3.00 from USB on BIOS #2 which I am using.
I've never had a pausing issue in the UEFI screen,... Matter of fact it's better than my previous ASUS ROG HERO Vi for mouse control. The only feature missing from our BIOS is secure erase like in the Rog series and with the emphasis on SSDs on our boards it's  sorely missed. This is my first ASRock in a long time since the 4core dual and it's a great board.

Do you have your CPU over locked? What speed are you achieving?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 12:12pm
The PC may have booted with VCCIO at 0.976, but Firefox crashed on me when posting in this forum. So no way that can I run at 3466 with that VCCIO. Set it to 1.128V (actual) for now, survived a stress test. So no, not a special RAM kit, yours should have better chips.

The G.SKILL GTZ TridentZ models are more pricey than the GTZB model I have. Not by much anymore, due to Newegg's crazy pricing, but that model (GTZ) should be better.

My OC is 4.5GHz now, on an i5-6600K. Just using Auto (adaptive) voltage I'm at about 1.25V during stress tests. Cache is on stock (3.9GHz) for now, but I've had it higher in the past.

Really, never had a freezing/pausing issue in the UEFI? We see a fair amount of complaints about that with Skylake boards. Several different models. I've had it myself. Interesting, I wonder what the cause might be? What kind of mouse and keyboard do you use? Wired or wireless?

I've seen the UEFIs of some recent Asus boards. I'm surprised you say there aren't many missing features in our UEFIs. But I'm referring to the endless UEFI options those boards have, which IMO at least some are there only to make it appear to be sophisticated.

I helped a guy disable CSM on a ROG board, which I thought to myself at first, "come on, it's one option setting", like it is in every ASRock UEFI I've ever used (many!) I could not believe the nonsense it took to get CSM disabled in that UEFI. Cannot even remember all that had to be done.

Or options for versions of Windows? If there are underlying UEFI settings needed for an OS, fine, but why make us set them? What good does it do to be able to not enable something needed for an OS version? Confused

But I also saw some options that would be nice to have. ASRock tends to put those only on boards that really ought to have them, like the OC Formula boards. Different philosophies of design, overall.

The secure erase (SE) feature is nice, I will give you that. I use mainly Intel and Samsung SSDs, and their SSD tools work pretty easily to perform an SE. Other SSDs have tools too, but to be able to do it in the UEFI on any SSD is a great feature. Did it let you SE an OS drive? I could see the usefulness of that, for installing an OS fresh on a SSD that just was SE.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 4:13pm
I use a Logitech 502 wired mouse and an AZIO MGK1 wired keyboard connected to the USB 2 ports on the back I/O.

I'm at 4.6, 4.2 cache, level 2 LLC, 1.370 fixed on a 6700k. The chip will do >4.7 at level 1 LLC but I don't have enough cooling to push it comfortably. I should try default and see if I can hit 3600 memory? Even 4.5 at 3600 is nice.

I'm with you 100% against needless UEFI options that are unnecessary. Disabling the on board CPU gpu and audio were nice features too on my ROG board but they had no effect  on  overclocking,.... So not that important. I mentioned the SE because I can erase a boot SSD, only requirement was ACHI active and two reboots to disconnect the drive and erase,.... One at a time. And I could use UBU tool to update the  BIOS with the latest IRST, Intel lan, CPU microcode, and patches. Can't do that with our BIOS :(

Were you successful in erasing your m.2 with the Samsung SE tool? No luck here. It would need to disconnect /unfreeze to erase.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 11:42am
I've been using Firefox for ages but recently it's started pausing, having difficulty with certain forum sites and distorting the desktop when playing embedded YouTube videos if I change the default video card memory settings! This behaviour doesn't happen in Chrome. Firefox is not what it used to be.

For final stability testing I always use Realbench 2.34 stress test and three loops of benchmark.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic