ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme4 SM951 UEFI BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cocoguagua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:11pm
I'm trying to install w10 int SM951 NVME with a PCIE Adapter. I created a usb UEFI installer correctly. The installer starts to install normaly but when ir reboots first time, it starts again the installation process because in the bios not detect the SM951 NVME. I have tried with the two Bios of this post and nothing the bios not shows any SM951 dispositive.  If i change the SM951 NVME by SM951 AHCI will work? or the problem can be the PCIE Adapter (A EBay Cheap M2 to PCIE Adapter)?. 

Sorry for my english

Thanks
CaptainTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CaptainTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by cocoguagua cocoguagua wrote:

I'm trying to install w10 int SM951 NVME with a PCIE Adapter. I created a usb UEFI installer correctly. The installer starts to install normaly but when ir reboots first time, it starts again the installation process because in the bios not detect the SM951 NVME. I have tried with the two Bios of this post and nothing the bios not shows any SM951 dispositive.  If i change the SM951 NVME by SM951 AHCI will work? or the problem can be the PCIE Adapter (A EBay Cheap M2 to PCIE Adapter)?. 

Sorry for my english

Thanks

I am not sure what the problem is, I don't have any NVME drives myself so I cannot test the functionality of the newest BIOS from Asrock or the modified ones.  If it continues to not work, you might want to try adding NVME drive functionality manually.

These forums have the instructions, I have not done them so do not know if they would work for our Asrock board.  It might be worth a shot though:
and

Also, I have updated the BIOS that was posted here to the latest firmware and drivers for everything I could using UBU:

-Intel RST(e) OROM 13.1.0.2126 (same as OP's version and newest available for 7-series chipsets)

-Updated Intel OROM VBIOS SNB-IVB to 2171 (latest available for Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge)

-Updated Intel EFI GOP driver (SandyBridge v2.0.1024 / IvyBridge v3.0.1030)

-Updated Intel OROM Boot Agent CL v0.1.06 (used CL instead of GE, has made no difference for me)

-Updated Broadcom LAN OROM v17.2.0

-Updated Broadcom EFI UNDI v17.2.1

-Updated Asmedia 106 SATA OROM v0.97 (latest available and has been stable for me)

-Updated Intel CPU Microcode for IvyBridge (1C) and SandyBridge (29)

The microcode for IvyBridge 19 and also the SandyBridge Microcode 28 is supposedly better for overclocking, but I'm not a heavy overclocking so have experienced no issues on 1C (I can?™t test the SandyBridge 29 Microcode since I don't have a Sandy Bridge processor on hand but I don?™t think there would be any problems).  You can always change it yourself very easily using UBU (link provided below with instructions)

I've been running this BIOS for a few days and it's been super stable.  No problems at all.  I had to plug my usb drive into the top usb 3.0 ports and used the built in BIOS Instant Flash when you enter the BIOS Setup.

If you do not trust my BIOS file, you can update the BIOS yourself using these instructions (that's what I followed):

It's pretty straightforward except for updating the Intel VBios which was kind of confusing.

Anyways, here's the UBU updated 2.90M BIOS in a zipped file uploaded to MEGA:

I also updated all the drivers and firmware that I could on this board and it's been rock stable since with no more USB 3.0 dropping or anything.  Unfortunately, I could not update the Asmedia ASM 1042 USB 3.0 firmware, but the latest drivers are working fine for me.

I would look at the Win-Raid forums for instructions on how to update drivers, firmware, and BIOS:

-Intel Management Driver and Firmware (latest MEI driver is: v11.0.5.1189 [installer v11.0.4.1186 only contains MEI driver 11.0.0.1181 confusing] and latest MEI firmware for Z77 is: v8.1.65.1586)

-Intel SATA AHCI Controller (best for Z77 is: v13.1.0.1058):

-Broadcom BCM 57781 v15.6.0.14 LAN Driver (latest I could find):

-Realtek ALC898 Audio Driver v6.0.1.7790:

-Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Driver v3.1.9.0:

-Intel Chipset INF Drivers for Z77 v10.1.1.18 (need to run adminstrator command prompt: "SetupChipset.exe -overall"):

-Asmedia ASM-1042 USB 3.0 Drivers (latest for Windows 7 is v1.16.33.1):

-Intel Z77 USB 3.0 Drivers (I followed the direction to use the modded ones v4.0.4.51 and they have been rock-stable for me whereas before my usb ports kept dropping connections)

Also, as mentioned above I have not found a way to update the Asmedia ASM-1042 USB 3.0 Firmware to the latest stable version of v130125_00_02_00.  My board is stuck on FW v111017_00_07_1e.  Keep in mind that firmware is different than drivers.  Firmware needs to be updated in DOS, drivers had no problem installing in Windows.  For more information, I had the same problem as this guy.  It seems like our board does not have a SPI Flash for the Asmedia ASM-1042 USB 3.0 controller, which enables it to be upgraded I think:

I hope this helps people out!  It took me a while to track down the latest drivers and firmware.  This is the latest that I could find as of 4/26/2016.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any harm that comes to your motherboard.  I will say though that I've done all of the above updates/upgrades and my computer has been running stable for days.

My system:
i7-3770k @ 4.2 ghz
32 GB 1600 RAM
AMD Radeon 7850

Edited by CaptainTE - 26 Apr 2016 at 5:29pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 1:06am
Originally posted by cocoguagua cocoguagua wrote:

Sorry for my english

Thanks

If you cannot find the SM951 shown in the System Browser tool in the BIOS, then something is wrong.

The entry in the Boot Order for any PCIe SSD used as the OS drive is Windows Boot Manager. If you don't have that entry in the Boot Order, something is wrong.

What is the CSM option set to in the BIOS? It is in the ACPI screen.

When you are installing Windows 10, did you do a Custom installation?

How are you formatting your NVMe SM951?

If during the Windows 10 installation, you never saw the SM951 displayed as the OS target drive, then something is wrong.

During the Windows 10 installation, you must ONLY HAVE the SM951 running on the board. NO OTHER drives must be connected to the PC, or at least must have no power connected to the drives.

The modified BIOS for some reason contains the Intel RST(e) OROM 13.1.0.2126. That does not make sense IMO, since a Z77 chipset does not use the Intel RSTe driver or OROM. The ONLY boards that use the RSTe OROM and driver are X79 chipset boards.

A Z77 chipset board must use an Intel IRST OROM, since it can only use the Intel IRST driver.

Next, the only Intel IRST OROM that supports NVMe is a version 14 OROM.

Unless someone can explain why an RSTe OROM is being used, IMO it is wrong.

There are other factors involved, such as using RAID mode, and installing the IRST 14.6 or 14.8 "F6" RAID driver during the Windows 10 installation.

I don't have an M.2 to PCIe adapter to try with my Z77 Extreme4 board and a Samsung NVMe 950 Pro SSD that I can use to test if the ASRock P2.90M UEFI/BIOS works. I might try an Intel 750 NVMe SSD with my Z77 Extreme4 board, to test a Windows 10 installation.

Yes, an AHCI version of the SM951 will be easier to use with this board and installing Windows 10. None of the NVMe requirements will be necessary, but the Windows 10 installation must be a UEFI booting installation. I'm installing the P2.90M UEFI version to see what if any changes to the CSM option have happened. Not that they are necessary, but the newer sub-options make PCIe SSD installation somewhat easier.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:56pm
A picture is worth a thousand words:

This is an Intel 750 NVMe SSD with Windows 10 running on my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 board. Cool

I'm using the Beta UEFI version P2.90M just as it comes from this board's download page, no modifications to the file at all.

This 750 is the standard AIC (Add In Card) version of the drive, which fits in a PCIe slot, at least an x4 slot.

A M.2 to PCIe adapter card for a Samsung SM951 or 950 Pro should work fine, as long as the adapter card is designed correctly.

So the standard P2.90M Beta UEFI for the Z77 Extreme4 board should work fine with any of the few NVMe SSDs available today.

Since I'm using an i7-2600K in this board, I only have PCIe 2.0 available. So the performance is not quite what it would be with PCIe 3.0. Still, it is not bad:

The same SSD on an ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, with PCIe 3.0:

loong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:29pm
Can I use this bios on Z77 Extreme4-M ?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by loong loong wrote:

Can I use this bios on Z77 Extreme4-M ?

Sorry, no, it would not install on a different board. The update process checks the UEFI/BIOS file being used, compared to the board, if they don't match it won't update.

If that check was bypassed somehow, and the UEFI/BIOS file does not match the board's features and UEFI options, the result would be a non-functioning UEFI and board.

Nickel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nickel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:45am
@CaptainTE
"
.... Anyways, here's the UBU updated 2.90M BIOS in a zipped file uploaded to MEGA:https://mega.nz/#!zwVAgJLS!fnkkmlRnpl_FXf789kFnfm6FTQBcQEtZnSot_sHXEeA"

Hello,
I use your "UBU updated 2.90M BIOS" for over half a year and everything runs perfectly. Also no problems when overclocking with the included SandyBridge Microcode 29.
Thank you, greetings from Germany.

slackeritguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackeritguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:33pm
Hello guys, first time poster over here.

I was just wondering if there's a 2017 UBU updated version of the 2.90M bios?, that would be great.

Thanks!.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic