ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PC Modding > Project Build&Share
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Fatality Gaming K6 + i5-6500 Upgrade Log

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Fatality Gaming K6 + i5-6500 Upgrade Log
    Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 5:11pm
Hello there!

I just wanted to share with you an upgrade I will be doing hopefully tomorrow if the delivery comes on time!

I'm using:
ASRock Z170 Fatality Gaming K6 board
Intel i5-6500
Corsair Vengence (2 x 4GB) 3200Mhz DDR4
Arctic Freezer 11i

I'll be reusing parts from my old PC:
Geforce GTX 570
3 x SATA Hard drives (320Gb, 2 x 1TB)
ASUS Xonar DX (Maybe, If it sounds better than on-board?)
Antec Sonata 2 Case
Antec Truepower 650 PSU
Dell 1920 x 1200 Monitor.

As you can see it's a big mix of the old and new. I would have liked a 6600k (Actually I would love a 6700K, who wouldn't right?? Wink ) but I just couldn't get it into budget, there has to be a cut off point somewhere right?

I will be recording the build and posting it up on the tube of course.

I'm really excited about this! I have/had a Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz and Biostar TP45 until within the space of a few weeks it got more and more flaky until one day it just stopped working, all I had laying around was an ancient Dell XPS with a Pentium 4 640 toaster! It's so slow it's ridiculous, I literally get 10FPS in GTA 5!

Oh I'm not a new customer, I also have a 4CoreDual VSTA which is still going strong at 295Mhz FSB with a e6300 and a 6600GT.

Anyway enough rambling! I'll post a link up to my build video once it's up.
Cheers Star

Edited by monkspeed - 20 Jun 2016 at 5:18pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 6:11pm
You will be blown away by the upgrade Wink

The only thing I would add if you can squeeze the budget a little ore is an SSD for the OS, they are fairly cheap now and will make a huge difference.
monkspeed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

You will be blown away by the upgrade Wink

The only thing I would add if you can squeeze the budget a little ore is an SSD for the OS, they are fairly cheap now and will make a huge difference.

SSD or save for a better GFX card? Smile
What's an M.2 Drive? Is it like a superfast RAM drive?

Edited by monkspeed - 20 Jun 2016 at 7:24pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 9:07pm
No M.2 is not a RAM drive, it is a slot designed for high performance SSDs. There are cheaper SATA based M.2 drives which perform much the same as their SATA 3 counterparts and then there are NVMe M.2 drives capable of much higher performance numbers. At the end of the day though only certain applications (not games) will see any real benefit from these super fast drives. 

Using an M.2 drive is also convenient as they attach to the motherboard and take up very little space which makes them very practical in small form factor systems and laptops or in any situation where space is limited. M.2 drives can be found ranging in price from affordable (very close to standard SATA SSDs) all the way up to high cost, high capacity NVMe versions that can set you back thousands of $$.

As for GPU vs SSD, if the main purpose of your system is gaming then GPU hands down but if gaming is secondary to every day use then SSD. I would hold off on a new GPU for the moment as AMD will soon be releasing their new Polaris based GPUs which should be hugely cheaper and faster than anything currently available. Once they are released you can expect to see price cuts across the board on older products from both AMD and Nvidia. I would personally pick up the soon to be released AMD RX 480 given it's MSRP for just $200 US. 
monkspeed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

No M.2 is not a RAM drive, it is a slot designed for high performance SSDs. There are cheaper SATA based M.2 drives which perform much the same as their SATA 3 counterparts and then there are NVMe M.2 drives capable of much higher performance numbers. At the end of the day though only certain applications (not games) will see any real benefit from these super fast drives. 

Using an M.2 drive is also convenient as they attach to the motherboard and take up very little space which makes them very practical in small form factor systems and laptops or in any situation where space is limited. M.2 drives can be found ranging in price from affordable (very close to standard SATA SSDs) all the way up to high cost, high capacity NVMe versions that can set you back thousands of $$.

As for GPU vs SSD, if the main purpose of your system is gaming then GPU hands down but if gaming is secondary to every day use then SSD. I would hold off on a new GPU for the moment as AMD will soon be releasing their new Polaris based GPUs which should be hugely cheaper and faster than anything currently available. Once they are released you can expect to see price cuts across the board on older products from both AMD and Nvidia. I would personally pick up the soon to be released AMD RX 480 given it's MSRP for just $200 US. 

Thanks for the info!
I really wanted to wait for Zen CPU's but this system is practically unusable for everything, even surfing is a chore. If I could have put my GTX 570 into the 4coredual vsta then I could have lived with it for general use and some gaming but alas, it wasn't to be... But yes, Zen looks very promising, even if they can't quite match their 40% faster claims, I'm sure it will liven up the cpu market again.. And hopefully stop Intel with this silly non-overclocking policy... I mean, didn't we already go through this sh1t 10 years ago with locked multipliers and such!?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic