ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 extreme6 BIOS updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nyralim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 extreme6 BIOS updates
    Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 7:33pm
Hello everybody!

I am a bit confused about the BIOS updates of my motherboard (Z97 extreme6). 

On May the 29th I flashed successfuly the 2.30 BIOS version, which according to the release notes it "added support for the 5th Gen CPUs (Broadwell)".  

Yesteday, when I checked again for any updates i was surprised to see that the 2.30 BIOS now states that it "updates the EZ OC table" and before that there is a 2.20 version for the Broadwell CPUs. 

I checked my BIOS collection and I was right. On May the 29th, there was no 2.20 BIOS version, no EZ  OC table update and the 2.30 BIOS added support for the Broadwell CPUs. 

I guess that there is some confusion here. I would be happy if someone knows anything on this matter and provides a clarification.

Link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:57pm
You are right about the sequence of UEFI/BIOS updates, and there is nothing to worry about.

The updates in the "new" 2.30 version to "Update EZ OC Table" are entries for the Broadwell processors. Support for Broadwell was moved to 2.20.

You should have no problem applying UEFI 2.30 "again", although it is not the same version that you applied earlier. You can always update to the same or even a previous UEFI/BIOS version except in a few unusual circumstances, none of which apply to the Z97 Extreme6 board.
Nyralim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nyralim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 11:28pm
Thank you very much for your kind reply! 

I will flash the new  2.30 version. One more question:

Does the new 2.30 BIOS include the 2.20 as well? Meaning, do I need to flash them both or just the latest one?

Edited by Nyralim - 27 Jun 2015 at 11:31pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 12:02am
Just the latest one Wink
chiptouz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiptouz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 8:21am
So then I guess if you aren't updating to Broadwell there is no need to update the bios right?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 12:22pm
As a general rule, if your system is working to your liking there is no need to update bios. Personally, I always updated to the latest then see if I can overclock a little more and perform a plethora of benchmarks but that's just me Wink For most people however the old adage holds true, "if it ain't broke".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic