ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4 USB Power Settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiERiT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Pro4 USB Power Settings
    Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 8:00am
I bought a new external hard drive yesterday and it has a very bright status LED on it. It doesn't bother me at all during the day, but when I power off my machine at night and try to sleep the light stays on (flashing) and literally illuminates my whole room.

My assumption is my board is still supplying USB power even when turned off. I looked around in the BIOS for an option to disable that and did not see anything. Does anyone know the location of this setting?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by PiERiT PiERiT wrote:

I bought a new external hard drive yesterday and it has a very bright status LED on it. It doesn't bother me at all during the day, but when I power off my machine at night and try to sleep the light stays on (flashing) and literally illuminates my whole room.

My assumption is my board is still supplying USB power even when turned off. I looked around in the BIOS for an option to disable that and did not see anything. Does anyone know the location of this setting?

Yes it is supplying power via the USB ports when the PC is shutdown. What you mean by "turned off", I don't know.

To remove power from the USB ports when the PC is Shutdown, the Good Night LED option in the Chipset Configuration screen is what you are looking for.

Also, tape is good for covering bright LEDs. Wink
PiERiT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiERiT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 9:37am
I did mean shutdown rather than turned off, yes.

No luck with the Good Night LED option; it stays on regardless of the setting. I'll bust out the tape I guess. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic