ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to buy DeskMini 110

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 10:19am
Ordered 110W from NewEgg today.

i5 6600, 16 Gb Gskill Ripjaws, 256 gb Samsung Evo, Asus 25" IPS monitor

Considered the 35w T series Skylake as I am concerned about cooling but couldn't pass up the performance and price of the 65w versions.

The Asrock site shows a slim cooler but does not specify which one it is and whether it is more efficient or quieter than stock Intel. As more of these get in the hands of users I look forward to others sharing their experiences with cooling a dotter things like Sata SSD vs. M.2 (did not think I needed the added performance vs. the almost double cost vs. SSD)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Wildcat Wildcat wrote:

Ordered 110W from NewEgg today.

i5 6600, 16 Gb Gskill Ripjaws, 256 gb Samsung Evo, Asus 25" IPS monitor

Considered the 35w T series Skylake as I am concerned about cooling but couldn't pass up the performance and price of the 65w versions.

The Asrock site shows a slim cooler but does not specify which one it is and whether it is more efficient or quieter than stock Intel. As more of these get in the hands of users I look forward to others sharing their experiences with cooling a dotter things like Sata SSD vs. M.2 (did not think I needed the added performance vs. the almost double cost vs. SSD)

The "slim" CPU cooler option looks like a server mother board style 1U (very low profile) type of cooler. The five pin fan header used by this type of cooler, and available on this board, seems to verify that is exactly what it is.

These coolers are usually very loud due to the small fan they use running at very high speeds. Noise is not an issue in server environments, but using a CPU cooler of this type in your home would not be recommended, unless the PC was located away from the users.

Another potential issue with this type of CPU cooler, compared to using the standard Intel CPU cooler, is the 1U style cooler only provides cooling for the processor. The Intel CPU cooler will create air flow across the mother board, cooling the CPU VRM heat sink and other components on the board.

Since the CPU cooler has the only fan that is normally available in the DeskMini 110 PC, the Intel CPU cooler will do a better overall job cooling the entire PC than a 1U server style CPU cooler.

I'm not sure what the motivation is for ASRock to make the DeskMini 110 compatible with the 1U server style CPU cooler. That may be to make it attractive for use in the professional environment. Actually, designing the Mini-STX mother board to be compatible with 1U server style CPU coolers is probably the reason. That would make the board more attractive for professional use in other types of cases and applications.

Since this PC already seems to be a successful and popular design, I would not be surprised to see new CPU coolers become available that were designed specifically for it, and the copy designs that will likely begin to appear. Exclamation
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:15am
So I'm ordering a DeskMini 110W, and I took a look at the Memory Support list. The usual model number for all the memory is in the "Module" column, and the majority are not typical memory model numbers.

http://www.asrock.com/support/support.asp?Model=DeskMini%20110%20Series&cat=Memory#Vendor

Searching on most of those Crucial "Module" numbers results in the links to the Memory Support list for various ASRock mother boards whose Memory Support list includes the same Module numbers. A few of the others include links to a few retailers, and Crucial memory information.

This is also true for the Samsung, Panram, Kingston, Innodisk, G-RAM, Geil, Apacer, Team, Transcend, V-Color, and ADATA entries in the list. I didn't check them all, about 90%.

The G.SKILL entries in the Module column, are obviously standard G.SKILL model numbers. A few of the Corsair entries are valid model numbers.

What am I missing here? Is this the standard method of identifying SODIMMs?

Get ready mods, we'll be hearing more about this in the near future. Ouch

So what memory did the OP use?

I'm buying the cheapest Crucial DDR4 SODIMMs, I know the similar standard Crucial model works with my Skylake CPU.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:16am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

What am I missing here? Is this the standard method of identifying SODIMMs?

Not good ....
https://www.google.com/search?q=H5AN4G8NAFRTFC540V&num=40&filter=0&biw=1366&bih=588

Only ASRock associated links! Hmmmm....

That 16GB G.Skills QVL lists what appears to be every Intel NUC .
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2133c15s-16grs
drosene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drosene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 11:56am
My xwife and my daughter really like their DeskMini's and both have been working great. My daughter however has more demanding Audio requirements than the crappy speakers in her monitor. If I recall correctly there is an unused 4 pin internal speaker connector on the motherboard. Since she doesn't want to plug her speakers into the front audio port, can anyone recommend a cable/connector that I can use and mount the female jack on the back panel of the case?
MiFan4149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiFan4149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:18pm
Where could I buy the asrock deskmini locally in Singapore?
I couldn't find any information about it being sold or the deskmini is only being release to some countries only? I plan to purchase it to use as an HTPC by the end of this month so any information would help.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 12:24am
Originally posted by drosene drosene wrote:

My xwife and my daughter really like their DeskMini's and both have been working great. My daughter however has more demanding Audio requirements than the crappy speakers in her monitor. If I recall correctly there is an unused 4 pin internal speaker connector on the motherboard. Since she doesn't want to plug her speakers into the front audio port, can anyone recommend a cable/connector that I can use and mount the female jack on the back panel of the case?

The front panel "audio port" on the DeskMini 110 is a headphone jack. The requirements for driving headphones (low input impedance devices), and an amplifier for speakers (high input impedance devices) are different and aren't normally compatible. Or at least without frequency response variations, and potential volume level issues.

Are you saying that your daughter's speakers will work connected to the headphone jack? We have no idea what those speakers, etc, are.

Regarding the four pin internal speaker connection, the connector is unusual but there is more to it than that. Searching for the specs of the Realtek ALC283 audio chip returns ambiguous results, nothing specific for ALC283. What this chip seems to be, or is closely related to, is the Realtek ALC269.

The ALC269 has a two channel Class D two watt/channel amplifier. The four pin speaker connector on the board should be for that amplifier, rather than a line level output for driving an amplifier input. It is not compatible with an amplifier or powered speaker input.

The DeskMini 110 mother board and case does not have the standard two channel "speaker" connection found on standard mother boards. I cannot think of a way to do what you'd like to do with speakers, although we don't know what they are. There is a digital audio signal on the HDMI cable, provided by the Intel chipset on this board.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic