ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme4 + M.2 PCIe SSD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme4 + M.2 PCIe SSD?
    Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 7:17am
I acquired a Kingston HyperX M.2 PCIe SSD, but when I install it in a x16 PCIe slot, the motherboard isn't recognizing it. It doesn't appear in the UEFI, and of course, I can't see it in windows.

Z77 Extreme4
i7 3770k
Samsung 850

Is the Z77 capable of utilizing this M2. PCIe SSD card?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by celtek celtek wrote:

I acquired a Kingston HyperX M.2 PCIe SSD, but when I install it in a x16 PCIe slot, the motherboard isn't recognizing it. It doesn't appear in the UEFI, and of course, I can't see it in windows.

Z77 Extreme4
i7 3770k
Samsung 850

Is the Z77 capable of utilizing this M2. PCIe SSD card?

The Kingston HyperX M.2 PCIe SSD used in its PCIe slot adapter card should be usable in a Z77 Extreme4 board.

I've installed an Intel 750 NMVe PCIe SSD in my Z77 Extreme4 board, with the required P2.90M UEFI that adds NVMe support, and it works fine as the OS drive.

Your HyperX PCIe SSD is not an NVMe SSD, and its more standard AHCI driver usage should make it easier to use than NVMe PCIe SSDs.

When you say this SSD does not appear in the UEFI, do you mean in the Storage Configuration screen? If so, this drive will not appear in the Storage Configuration screen, since it is not connected to a SATA port, and is not a standard SATA drive.

Did you check the System Browser tool, found in the Main screen of the UEFI? If this SSD is detected, it will be shown in System Browser. The PCIE2 or PCIE3 slots are the only slots you can use with this SSD in its PCIe adapter card. System Browser is the only place in the UEFI that will show this type of drive.

Any new drive will not be seen in Windows until it is initialized and formatted. Did you start Disk Management, which should prompt you to initialize the drive?

You might need to set the speed of the PCIe slot you are using to Gen2 in the UEFI, in the North Bridge Configuration screen.

Questions:

What Windows version are you using?

Which UEFI version are you using?

SATA Mode in the UEFI is set to?
celtek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 9:06pm
Hey parsec, thank you for getting back to me!

The System Browser screen does NOT display the SSD inserted into either of those PCIE slots.

The device does NOT show up in either Device Manager or Disk Management.

I inserted the card into another PC, and it shows up in Device Manager and Disk Management... so I'm thinking it is a problem with my motherboard.

A little clarification, I'm running an AsRock Z77 Extreme4-M -- could this be the issue?

Also, I'm running Windows 10 Home.

UEFI version I'm not sure of as I'm at work right now and won't be able to tell you until later this evening.

SATA mode is set to AHCI.

PCIE mode is set to Auto... there is no "Gen 2" option available, it's either Gen1 or Auto.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic