ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vision 3D 252 + win10 + USB DVB tuner fails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pucco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vision 3D 252 + win10 + USB DVB tuner fails
    Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 2:41am
After upgrading to Win10 I can't get any USB DVB tuner to work. I have three different tuner models that behaves the same. I have checked the drivers and compared driver versions with my laptop where the USB tuners are working.
I have tested in different USB ports both in the front and the back of the Vision 3D so that both Intel and NEC USB controllers where used. I have tested different drivers for NEC USB 3.0 controller, both Microsofts default driver and a NEC USB controller.

Win 10 device manager says it is Working properly. No other software can use the USB tuners.
MediPortal - no tuners free.
PCTV app - searching but hangs with no progress.
ProgDVB - Device not started. Interesting, plugging in one tuner gives two instances in TV Sources list (only one instance on my laptop).

It seems that the tuners are detected by the Apps but can't be controlled.

Any idea what can be wrong. It feels like a problem with USB host drivers. USB Xfast was automatically uninstalled by Win10 installer. Can there be any corruptions from that.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Pucco Pucco wrote:

After upgrading to Win10 I can't get any USB DVB tuner to work. I have three different tuner models that behaves the same. I have checked the drivers and compared driver versions with my laptop where the USB tuners are working.
I have tested in different USB ports both in the front and the back of the Vision 3D so that both Intel and NEC USB controllers where used. I have tested different drivers for NEC USB 3.0 controller, both Microsofts default driver and a NEC USB controller.

Win 10 device manager says it is Working properly. No other software can use the USB tuners.
MediPortal - no tuners free.
PCTV app - searching but hangs with no progress.
ProgDVB - Device not started. Interesting, plugging in one tuner gives two instances in TV Sources list (only one instance on my laptop).

It seems that the tuners are detected by the Apps but can't be controlled.

Any idea what can be wrong. It feels like a problem with USB host drivers. USB Xfast was automatically uninstalled by Win10 installer. Can there be any corruptions from that.

Just to be clear, do you have a Vision 3D Sandy Bridge model: http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Vision%203D%20Series%20(Sandy%20Bridge)/

Or the previous version, just called Vision 3D: http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Vision%203D%20Series/

I must mention that neither Vision 3D model has any driver downloads beyond Windows 7. Windows 10 is not an officially supported OS on these PCs.

The Vision 3D Sandy Bridge uses an Intel 6 series mobile (laptop) chipset, the HM65.

The Vision 3D uses an Intel 5 series moble chipset, the HM55.

The relative age of those chipsets (2010 - 2011) is part of the reason for the lack of Windows 10 support. Using Windows 10 on those PCs is a gamble, some things will work, others won't.

Your idea about the USB driver might be right. Windows 10 only has a USB 3.0 driver, that is backwards compatible with USB 2.0, or is supposed to be compatible. It is to some degree, but possibly not entirely.

The Intel USB hardware in their new 100 series chipset will not accept a USB 2.0 driver. An example of this is trying to install Windows 7 on a 100 series chipset board. All the USB ports will not be functional during and after the Windows 7 installation. A USB 3.0 driver must be incorporated into the Windows 7 installation media, to get the USB ports working.

If you check the driver version with Device Manager of the USB hubs, you'll find they all are using a Microsoft driver called USBHUB3.SYS. You have apparently tried different USB 3.0 drivers?

Can your USB DVB Tuner cards work with USB 3.0 ports? Do they even have USB 3.0 connections in their USB connector?

Windows 10 seems to be the main problem. Are your USB DVB Tuners compatible with Windows 10? Do the USB DVB Tuners have Windows 10 compatible drivers?

Does your laptop that works with the USB DVB Tuners have Windows 10? What model CPU or chipset does the laptop use?

XFast USB only works on one USB port, and should not be the cause of any corruption, but who knows?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Are your USB DVB Tuners compatible with Windows 10? Do the USB DVB Tuners have Windows 10 compatible drivers?

You don't mention what specific makes and models of USB tuners are we talking about?
Pucco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pucco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:29am
Sorry for my late reply. I was ready with a post with additional information when i wanted to test an other thing. I then accepted reboot without thinking and lost the reply.
Since then I have not been able to spend more time on this.

I have come up whith some interesting information. This is what I have.

Vision 3D 252 (Sandy Bridge) Core i5 HM65, Nvidia GT540M and NEC 720200 USB3 controller x2.
Dell XPS17 L701x (Sandy bridge) Core i7 HM67, Nvidia GT550M and NEC 720200 USB3 controller.

I have now syncronized all system drivers I could on both systems.
Intel chip set drivers are the latest direct from Intel for both systems.

USB drivers:
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - (Intel)10.1.1.14
Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 0.96 - (Microsoft) 10.0.10586.212

USB tuners does not all have Win10 drivers available from manufacturer.
PCTV nanoStick T2 (290e), 5.2010.901.0 Driver(32&64bit) for XP, Vista, Win7, Win 8, Win10?
    Not clear if drivers support Win10. Complete install package for the software states Win10.
WinTV Nova TD, Driver(32&64bit) 3.11.31107.0 (XP, Vista, Win7, Win 8)
UTS-100 (Generic Realtek RTL2832U tuner for DVB-T, DAB and Analog FM) Driver 86.001.0119.2012

Now I have realy f---d up my system. When I saw that win10 reinstalled one older driver for the
Intel chipset USB drivers I removed the driver and now I don't have any USB at all after windows boot.
That means no mouse or keyboard so I can't login and reinstall the drivers. All sugestions to
fix this requires login to reinstall the drivers or reinstall win10 while keeping data and programs.
I really want to keep my install of Mediaportal with all settings. It's a mess to configure and
reinstall all plugins wit their settings.
I have tried to revert to win7 but that failed, i was just thrown back to win10.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic