ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme 4 NVME PCI-E SSD BOOTING!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ploink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:41pm
You can boot Windows from NVME on any 64bit mainboard without NVME support if you install the rEFIind boot manager with the NvmExpressDxe.efi driver on usb stick and boot it. Refind can then chainload windows or any other OS you have installed.

That said, I installed the NVME on a z77 Extreme 4 mainboard without needing the usb stick solution.

This is what I did.
- Flash the 2.90P beta Bios.
- Install the NVME hardware
- Boot into windows to let it install the driver and check that nvme works.
- Convert the windows boot disk to GPT (in case it is MBR).
- Disable CSM in Bios/firmware setup (in Advanced->ACPI configuration). You should never need it again as the system is now GPT.
- Install the free version of Macrium Reflect and clone the entire boot disk to NVME. Note it is possible to resize the windows partition while cloning to fill the disk, but every time I try, I have to work out how to do that. Reflect is not very intuitive with this.
- After the clone, SHUTDOWN and unplug mains. DO NOT REBOOT until you have physically disconnected the old boot disk. Having two clones of the same OS during boot can seriously confuse windows.

I am not 100% sure the GPT/CSM steps are required, but it worked for me.
Bugstomper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugstomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 12:02am
Ploink,

Thank you taking the time to post your experience. I am a late adapter and recent post inspired me. Unfortunately, I presently dual boot with XP and must boot Win 10 in MBR, giving me fits or making it impossible to boot to NVMe drive.

What is the name of the device you boot to in the firmware settings?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic