ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faulty Mainboard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slatibaadfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faulty Mainboard?
    Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 7:40pm
Hello.
I have just installed (1-7-15) a new FM2A88X Extreme4+ and new A10-7870K CPU to update board and cpu in the "movies" computer.  there are two 2TB movie drives plus a 1tb operating system drive. power supply is an 850 watt and cooling is stock.  I have an R9 270 graphics card so I thought I'd disable the on board graphics and use that.  connected to a 55" television.

Now, the problem is two part. firstly, once running I get an electrical 'static' noise through the speaker system (5.1) and if I turn the volume down to a point where the noise isn't an issue, you can't hear the movie/TV.
but the main problem is the computer keeps rebooting, displaying a line of 'jibberish' then going quiet. not fully shutting down, as the fans are still working but to all intents and purposes, is shut down.  the other thing it does is just freeze.
I've pulled the board, including the CPU and started from scratch, no good. I've removed the external card and switched on the on board graphics, but no good. I've disconnected the two movies hard drives, no good, and I've swapped out the hard drive and reinstalled windows on a new drive. I've done that with three different drives. in fact I've even replaced the drive with another new one and installed Linux. (I'd run out of ideas) and still the problem persists. 
This isn't the first computer I've built and it probably wont be the last. I have a test bed running an ASRock "killer" board and I built a computer for my grandson, also using an ASRock FM2A58M board.  my other computers run ASUS. but this is the first ASRock board I've had trouble with.

I've read a few reviews where the general consensus is the board tends to be somewhat temperamental, but this is ridiculous.

I don't know whether I'm missing something or if the board is faulty.

please, any assistance and guidance would be very much appreciated.  Wink

thanks. 

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:00pm
Welcome to the forums Smile

That sounds like a bit of a headache. Generally in a situation like yours the first thing I do is clear cmos to make sure I don't have any lingering gremlins in the bios. If that does not help then its time to move on to the components. You say you are getting random shutdowns and there is static coming from the audio jack. The random shutdowns could be a number of things but the most often guilty parties are RAM and CPU. 

Clear CMOS
Try one stick of RAM
Check the CPU and make sure there are no bent/broken off pins (had a case here recently where that was the problem)
If both RAM and CPU troubleshooting don't help try a bios update.
If you have another motherboard to test in the system that should tell you if the board is the problem for sure.

You have already followed most of the basic troubleshooting steps so if none of this helps it may be time to start the RMA process on the motherboard. Sadly there are always a few bad boards that slip through the cracks or get damaged in shipping from any manufacturer. 

Good luck Smile

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Jul 2015 at 10:02pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by slatibaadfast slatibaadfast wrote:

Hello.
I have just installed (1-7-15) a new FM2A88X Extreme4+ and new A10-7870K CPU to update board and cpu in the "movies" computer.  there are two 2TB movie drives plus a 1tb operating system drive. power supply is an 850 watt and cooling is stock.  I have an R9 270 graphics card so I thought I'd disable the on board graphics and use that.  connected to a 55" television.

Now, the problem is two part. firstly, once running I get an electrical 'static' noise through the speaker system (5.1) and if I turn the volume down to a point where the noise isn't an issue, you can't hear the movie/TV.
but the main problem is the computer keeps rebooting, displaying a line of 'jibberish' then going quiet. not fully shutting down, as the fans are still working but to all intents and purposes, is shut down.  the other thing it does is just freeze.
I've pulled the board, including the CPU and started from scratch, no good. I've removed the external card and switched on the on board graphics, but no good. I've disconnected the two movies hard drives, no good, and I've swapped out the hard drive and reinstalled windows on a new drive. I've done that with three different drives. in fact I've even replaced the drive with another new one and installed Linux. (I'd run out of ideas) and still the problem persists. 
This isn't the first computer I've built and it probably wont be the last. I have a test bed running an ASRock "killer" board and I built a computer for my grandson, also using an ASRock FM2A58M board.  my other computers run ASUS. but this is the first ASRock board I've had trouble with.

I've read a few reviews where the general consensus is the board tends to be somewhat temperamental, but this is ridiculous.

I don't know whether I'm missing something or if the board is faulty.

please, any assistance and guidance would be very much appreciated.  Wink

thanks. 

Sorry to hear about your problem. The A10-7870K processor requires UEFI/BIOS version 2.50 according to your board's CPU support list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=CPU

You did not mention what BIOS version you are using, or if you updated the BIOS. BIOS version 2.50 was released on 4/30/2015, and given the install date of your A10-7870K CPU, it is unlikely your board has that version unless you updated it yourself. I suggest using the Instant Flash method of updating the UEFI/BIOS, and read the instructions about using it if you've never used it.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=BIOS8

Otherwise, the problem does not sound like a peripheral hardware problem, unless your PSU is having problems.

You said you installed Linux, do you normally use Linux on that PC?

Edited by parsec - 04 Jul 2015 at 12:35am
slatibaadfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slatibaadfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 9:31am
thanks Xaltar

not addressed the CMOS yet. will do shortly
I put the ram into another computer and at the moment it is still running MEMTEST86 and as been since around 2100 hrs last night. as yet no problems.  I did run 1 stick, then the other through a 'normal' few hours of computer operations and neither showed any signs of fault, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to load them under '86

my next step was to grab the grandsons computer, he's only here a few times a week and swap (to test) the CPU. I figured that if I didn't have any issues then the 'fault' would have to be on the board.

the proverbial Pain in the arse (ass). thanks for the guidance. 
cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slatibaadfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 12:29pm
Hello Parsec.

thanks for the tips.  I didn't update the BIOS when I installed the board and I apologise for the date thing. I forget that 'northern hemisphere' occupants read the date; mm/dd/year, being in the south, I wrote it dd/mm/year; so the board has literally been in the case, now 3 1/2 days.
I did, however, after reading your comments, go into UEFI and check, it was running  2.5. but to be on the same side, used instant flash to run an update.  damn thing is, at this very moment sitting at 95% and has hung!! so I will shut it down, jump the BIOS and start again.

I will keep posting re; this saga until one of two things happen. a). the problem is solved or b). I switch out to another brand of board.  here's hoping the former wins.

cheers, and thanks.

Oh and I have an old Toshiba laptop that I installed Linux on just to play with, but it isn't on any of my other units.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 12:36pm
I would start with a bios update as Parsec suggested, I had not noticed you are using the new A10-7870K in your system. That most likely is the problem, it is based on the older A10 7XXX line so it is close enough to boot without proper support but without proper support it is very likely to cause problems on the system. If so it is a nice simple fix Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slatibaadfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 8:03pm
Hello All.
I apologise for not 'getting back' sooner.
No matter what I did, I couldn't remedy the situation, so I swapped the extreme board out and put in as Killer+  and bother computers are working fine.

with the extreme and the 7870K I tried the BIOS reset, button AND jumpers, even took the battery out. but the problem persisted. Before the board arrived, I downloaded all the latest drivers so installed 2.5 from the outset. But the extreme paired with an A6, the bloody thing works fine and the 7870k in the killer board also works a treat.

I still don't know what the problem was and I am fortunate enough to have a few boxes I can play with.  but more importantly, I'd like to thank everyone for the advice.

slatibaadfast

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic