ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > Achivement&Record
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

960 Pro specs released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

People that still choose to run prime95 and hammer their cpu for hours on end deserve what they get.

Regardless of the socket this needs to be preached from the highest mountain.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:20am
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

Haswell E can generally o/c better than Broadwell E 6950x but you do not need as high an o/c on 6950x to beat out Haswell.

Raja is one seriously knowledgeable dude. Anyone who chooses not to listen to him on an Asus mobo should be shot. Smile

On my 4.571 o/c I have baseclock moved to 102.3, uncore is at 3850 and I have the V for uncore at 1.35, max safe voltage.

Hey parsec I have said many times in terms of Vc it is not the voltage but the cooling that is most important. People that still choose to run prime95 and hammer their cpu for hours on end deserve what they get. Seriously, it proves nothing other than you could run prime at that point in time. You could just as easily fail the run the next day.

Everyone has a different opinion of what "stable" is. I personally could care less about any of these synthetic tests that hammer the cpu to try and prove you are 'Stable' .

I agree with everything you said. You also must know that your results are better than most if not all of the others in the OCN Broadwell-E thread. Which is also strictly the territory of the manufacture of the X99 board you are using.

I some ways, that thread reminds me of the OCN 950 Pro SSD owners thread. Except the 950 Pro thread is ridiculous, I'm about half way through it and I cannot believe much of what I see. I guess it's just me, but really, asking which IRST driver to use with a 950 Pro? I'm not talking about RAID either. The problems some of those people have, I thought I've seen it all until the next post I read in that thread. Such as, thinking every PC platform will "boot" at the same speed? Ever hear of POST guys?

Plus Samsung has been ZERO help. Not to mention the mistakes in the Magician software's display of the 950 connection interface.
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:06pm
I have to agree with you there buddy. I just shake my head and move on after reading some of those posts. 

I read that Samsung is completely revamping Magician for the 960 Pro release. Hopefully it works out this time. I don't use the current versions at all.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 7:23am
Still reading that 950 Pro thread, on and off.

The main thing is, so many users don't research at all what they need to do to use a 950 Pro. I  assume everyone is so used to plug and play, that they don't think they need to do anything different than a SATA SSD as the OS drive. While what needs to be done is not hard, it is different.

Plus add the requirements of the mother board, which is one of the main confusions, and it becomes a mess for some users. Then there are posts about it working as an OS drive on old boards with BIOS firmware, which is strange. Confused

The Samsung Magician benchmark test is Samsung's own worst enemy. It won't match the performance specs for some aspects because it is designed or configured wrong, and users think their 950 Pro is bad. Of course, we all use 300,000 random read IOPs for our usual PC work all the time, right? Wink  No, not at all, but I understand why users would wonder about it. I never use Samsung's benchmark anyway, it's too simple and why should I trust it? Unless they finally fixed it.

Samsung actually has a good guide about using the 950 Pro, but it's hidden by the document name, SSD 950 PRO White paper. Also, 47 pages long. It confirms everything I've preached about UEFI booting, although I've learned/confirmed recently that is not the only way to get an OS installed on an NVMe drive. The document does leave out a few basic details that might cause problems for some users, but is better than nothing. I think I see a mistake too, in the Boot Order selection.

In the section about installing an OS on a 950 Pro, guess which mother board's UEFI they use as an example?

The ASRock Z97 Extreme6. See page 20. Gives you an idea how old this document is:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_White_paper.pdf

At one time, the Z97 Extreme6 was the only board that could provide the PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 interface the 950 Pro requires for full performance. This document only lists 23 mother boards as compatible with a 950 Pro, which is not up to date at all. That's a big help for people that actually read it. Censored

I highly suggest at least reading parts of this document if you use or plan to use a 950 Pro. It may not be perfect, but it can be very helpful. At least parts of it should be included as instructions with the 950 Pro... not that we need to read any instructions, right? Geek
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 8:04am
For the record, this is Samsung's table of the affects of the 950 Pro's Dynamic Thermal Throttling (DTT) technology.

The accuracy of this table I cannot vouch for, but according to Samsung, DTT begins working at 75C/167F, and is fully engaged by 79C/174.2F:

Level 9, or Meltdown, is 4C beyond Level 0. Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic