ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

C70M1 PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Port

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcs_5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C70M1 PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Port
    Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:37am
The C70M1 Mini-ITX mainboard has a combined PS/2 keyboard/mouse port. If I connect a keyboard only, there are no problems. If I connect both a keyboard and mouse (using a Y-adapter) neither work. If I connect the keyboard to the mouse socket of the Y-adapter, the keyboard also works. But the mouse never works...

How is the combo socket supposed to work?

The same Y-adapter works fine on a QC5000M-ITX/PH.
shadetree1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadetree1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 8:22pm
Hi,  I dont know your MB but in my experience I never had much luck with PS/2 combo  port and Y-adapters supporting both devices.  

The BIOS natively (usually) only supports the keyboard 0n PS/2 and hands that ini off to the OS, assuming you are using a BIOS instead of UEFI.

If you have an UEFI MB you should be able able to use both devices in setup. If not, then the OS isn't going to either without special drivers.

One solution is to use a Logitech RF USB unified adapter for two devices or just one of their combo keyboards like a K400.  The little adapter is RF hardware driven (driverless) so once paired it works instantly in the BIOS/UEFI in a native USB 2.0 or even a 3.0 legacy port if needed. 

Good luck. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by mcs_5 mcs_5 wrote:

The C70M1 Mini-ITX mainboard has a combined PS/2 keyboard/mouse port. If I connect a keyboard only, there are no problems. If I connect both a keyboard and mouse (using a Y-adapter) neither work. If I connect the keyboard to the mouse socket of the Y-adapter, the keyboard also works. But the mouse never works...

How is the combo socket supposed to work?

The same Y-adapter works fine on a QC5000M-ITX/PH.

The QC5000M-ITX/PH board has an option in the UEFI called PS2 Y-Cable, in the Super IO Configuration screen.

I don't see that option in the C70M1's manual, unless a new UEFI version added that option.

I'm not certain if that option is necessary to use a Y-adapter, but it seems that it might be the situation. What is that option set to in the QC5000M-ITX/PH's UEFI?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic