ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H97M Pro4 and USB hub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonk999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H97M Pro4 and USB hub
    Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 3:09pm
I just purchased the H97M Pro4 as part of a new PC build - i5 4600, 16GB RAM, 2x 250GB SSD.
I also have a powered 10 port USB hub which worked fine on my previous PC. If I have the hub plugged into the new one, the PC doesn't power up when I press the power button. If I unplug the hub from the USB port on the motherboard or disconnect the USB hub power source it powers up fine. I have tried both the USB2 and USB3 ports on the motherboard with the same result.

Is there some incompatibility between the motherboard and powered USB hubs? Or is there perhaps a setting in the bios I have missed?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 3:48pm
Many sub standard/budget or older powered USB hubs suffer from power leakage that can travel up the USB cable to the motherboard. Some motherboards have less protection (particularly older ones) and work fine. However, newer boards, particularly UEFI boards, seem to not like this. The power leakage is minimal in most cases and usually not enough to damage anything but with better power/surge protection it can often be enough to prevent power up. I suspect your hub is either old or an off brand with poor power circuitry. 

There seem to be 2 schools of thought on the matter:
1. USB voltage protection kicks in preventing boot
2. The power leak up the cable causes chaos with the UEFI

I suppose either could be true but the root of the problem is common, power leaking up the cable to the PC. Generally in such scenarios its best to get a new, decent brand hub.

Welcome to the forums Smile 

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Jul 2015 at 3:49pm
jonk999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonk999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:23pm
Thank you for the reply. I thought that might be the case. I will look into purchasing a better quality USB hub.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic