ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Video? FM2A85X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Video? FM2A85X
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Moved my computer and now I'm getting no video?

I tried adding a new video card and still no video?

diagnostic codes are:

99 and then briefly :
CF
before blank display on diagnostic LED.

I tried holding power button on while turned off as suggested...

Caps lock indicator on the keyboard works and I see the hard drive activity light blinking which suggests it is getting to the login screen...

I removed all PCI devices and unplugged all additional hard drives...
checked memory is seated correctly...

At a loss as what to try...

I run a busines out of home and NEED this to work...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

Edited by cloud1 - 02 Oct 2016 at 10:17pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 11:38pm
A few simple things to try before we get deeper into troubleshooting:

1. Unplug the system and leave it unpowered (from the wall) for an hour and try power it on again.
2. Clear CMOS using this method
3. Check the PCIe slot the GPU is installed in for dirt, dust or corrosion.

By the sound of it the system is posting, that means the issue is with either the GPU (you say you tried another so unlikely but still possible) or the slot itself is dirty.

Let us know how it goes. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 12:39am
Is your monitor now looking at the incorrect input? ie: cycle through the available inputs using the monitors assign button.
cloud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 5:42am
Thanks guys...I'll try that and advise... (it's was integrated video A8-6600K APU, before I tried adding the new video card).
I've unplugged all USB headers, taken out two memory sticks leaving the original two - which I reseated.
Removed the battery for a few minutes (checked voltage and it's over 3v)

Just a single SSD drive and monitor, keyboard and mouse left attached.
Suspect power supply or motherboard...weird as it's run perfectly for over 3 years...

Edited by cloud1 - 02 Oct 2016 at 5:48am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
Originally posted by cloud1 cloud1 wrote:

Thanks guys...I'll try that and advise... (it's was integrated video A8-6600K APU, before I tried adding the new video card).
I've unplugged all USB headers, taken out two memory sticks leaving the original two - which I reseated.
Removed the battery for a few minutes (checked voltage and it's over 3v)

Just a single SSD drive and monitor, keyboard and mouse left attached.
Suspect power supply or motherboard...weird as it's run perfectly for over 3 years...

Electronic components can fail at any time, simply because an electronic device worked in the past does not guarantee it will work forever. Three years is a fairly long time, something may have happened randomly, as is the usual way electronic devices seem to fail.

You never told us what the video card you tried using is. So the problem occurred immediately after trying the video card, correct?

The POST code of 99 is SUPER IO INIT, and CF is OEM BDS INIT. Those two are not related, but the last one is the only one of importance. But it looks like you are stuck on 99 now, in your picture?

The SUPER IO INIT could be the board, but IMO testing with a new PSU would be a good start.

Did you need to connect a power cable from the PSU to the video card?
cloud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:41pm
I got it working again! Yay :)

It was dedicated video (A8-6600K APU) and I bought a new cheap video card (Geforce GT 710) to try to fix it...

The errors codes were:

CF (flashed quickly by)
Blank, suggesting it was booting but no video.

I replaced the power supply with an old (circa 2008) power supply with just a 4 pin P3 CPU power supply plug into the 8 pin socked.  And it worked!

So I decided the try the original power supply back again and that also worked now again?

So it is exactly as before now with all 5 hard drives, USB devices, and single PCI-E devices (a Wifi card) as pictured and it now works fine!

I previously reseated the 24 pin power plug, so that leaves just the 8 pin plug that I did not reseat...is it possible that got unseated? (seems unlikely to me...)

I removed 2 sticks of memory and reseated the original 2......and now have all 4 back in there...

I completely reset the BIOS as part of my repair procedure...so not sure what the issue was but it's just fine now again!

In the pic below it is running but the flash freezes the fans..

Interestingly I tried the new video card in tandem with the onboard video and they worked just fine powering my 2 monitors....but the GT710 was according to WEI quit a bit slower than the A8 graphics...so the video card is going back to BestBuy!

Edited by cloud1 - 02 Oct 2016 at 10:47pm
cloud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:43pm

cloud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 11:31pm
PS...I'm planning to upgrade this machine when the new AMD Zen processors are launched...in fact I plan to keep this as a 2nd PC after that since it has run so well (with this single issue).
Considering this PC has been in a hot and humid (Florida and Georgia) non climate controlled atmosphere for probably half it's 3.5 year life it's doing great!!!

AsRock are my go to for Motherboards by the way :)

Thanks guys!

Edited by cloud1 - 02 Oct 2016 at 11:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic