ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with z97 extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refugee47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with z97 extreme
    Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 7:47pm
I'm getting ready to put together a gaming PC for the first time using Asrock extreme 6 , i7 4790k , Gtx 970 , Samsung 850 ssd , 1tb hard drive , LG optical drive , 4*2 gb g.skill ram and windows 8.1 . I know I can put all the parts together without a problem but reading some of the threads on here got me really worried about booting for the first time . Can someone please tell me what steps to take when I first power on the PC ? The bios version sticker on the mobo is 1.7 .. Would I need to update the bios ?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 7:57pm
Welcome to the forums Smile

You have to bare in mind that the vast majority of people that end up here are those having problems, sadly not many people come to a manufacturer forum to say their build went great and everything is working as expected Wink

According to the CPU support list BIOS version 1.70 supports the 4790k without need to update. In fact it has been supported on that board since its release (bios P1.30). Bios 1.70 should have all of the pertinent updates for your system already in place. The latest bios does provide some overclocking improvements so if you plan to overclock (4790K so I assume yes) then it may be worth while to update. You should be able to put it all together, install the OS and use your new system without issue Smile

Good luck with your build and if you do encounter any problems don't hesitate to ask Wink
Refugee47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refugee47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 5:54am
Thank you very much . Do you have any advice for me as far as the first boot and setting the bios ? I'm gonna boot using the window cd in the optical drive .
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 6:57am
You probably already know to place the SSD on SATA 3-1 port and HDD on SATA 3 -2,  any cd or dvd rom on SATA 3 -5.  Any extra HDD as for just storage you can put on the SATA 3 A-1, these are Asmedia  ports. 

As for UEFI / BIOS settings,  Main screen you see memory.

Go to  OC Tweak  if your memory has XMP, you can set it.

Go to  Advanced - Chipset, make sure Primary GPU is PCI-Express , as you have a GTX 970.

You should see IGPU as DISABLED. 

Advanced- Storage,  Sata Enabled, Sata Mode  AHCI.  You'll see the drives you have plugged in below on this page.

The rest of the pages under Advanced you can leave default, and for tools, On the H/W you can set any fan and temp limits.  Save changes. 

Now after you are up and running, if you installed windows in UEFI,  because you have a GTX 970 that has GOP support, you can set Ultra Fast Boot.  But you will need to install the ""Restart to UEFI APP"" from the ASrock site.

When using Ultra fast boot, it boots to fast and you miss the option to enter BIOS / UEFI .

If you don't know how to install windows in UEFI and not in MBR, just ask. 

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 6:58am
asrocking
Refugee47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refugee47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 7:19am
Thanks a lot for all this info . Sorry for my ignorance but can you tell me the difference between installing windows through UEFI and MBR ? I was thinking I'll see the windows installed screen come up and guide me through it after I set some of those settings you mentioned and choose the optical drive as the boot option .
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 7:58am
Sorry, but while writing the post I forgot you posted you have a CD.  You would need to make a bootable  USB flash drive and copy the CD to the drive. 

It's only for when you have HDD over 2TB,  but you do get the option to Ultra fast boot.  

For you it's not worth the time when you  just  get a few seconds off booting.  

MBR stands for Master Boot record and GPT is Guided Partition Table,  both are file structures that windows uses. 

Again, sorry,  didn't mean to make you think it was something better than sliced bread.
asrocking
Refugee47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refugee47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 8:01am
No problem . I'm thankful for the advice . So even though I have the windows CD and I have an optical drive I still need to install through USB ?
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 8:09am
NO,  you only need a USB flash drive with windows on it if you want to install in UEFI mode.

People have been installing windows for years with a CD and a optical drive.  

Like I said,  if you used a flash drive you can boot a little quicker, but it's not for you.

Stay with using the CD and your optical drive.
asrocking
Refugee47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Refugee47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 8:11am
Alright thanks a lot .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic