ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old PC Advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old PC Advice needed
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:58am
I have a fairly old desktop PC Put together by myself, with AsRock Conroe 945G dvi  mobo. This has XP, Separate Graphics card and 4g ram. Is it possible to put a newer operating system on this setup. I see that Vista is supported but I was thinking about Win 7 . This PC is used for internet and a bit of office work.
Any advice welcome.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:09am
What CPU,  you have the RAM. 

I have put win 7 on systems that should NOT have it.  

You would need to make sure you have your win XP licence,  then try win 7, you don't need to buy it, it has a trial period before you can't boot and must add the licence. 

Then see if you can find drivers for the hardware  or see if the XP drivers work then test it. If it goes well, you are all set.  

You must be good with installing, looking for drivers and understanding hardware device ID.

If you find that you aren't stable and don't want win 7, you will need to reinstall XP ( hence the licence of XP needed )

I'm not a part of ASrock, and you shouldn't install OS that aren't listed, but it could work.

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 4:16am
asrocking
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:14am
People have done this.

A working installation on no less than a Pentium II system. No, that's not a typo--Pentium Two. The extreme...ly old machine consists of a 266 MHz CPU, a whopping 96 MB of memory, and a next-generation 4 MB graphics card.
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:17am
Windows 7 should work fine on your system so long as you can find drivers for everything (most likely you will). As Odiebugs said, there have been people installing windows 7 on pentum II 266 PCs Smile
frund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:22am
Encouraged to go on. I have a e4300 overclocked a little. I realise I will need drivers for the mobo and other devices. I have the original XP disc with licence and drivers for everything so I could put it back if all did not go too well.  I was very genuine in those days. I don't see drivers for Win7 on the AsRock site.
thanks
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:26am
Windows 7 should have native drivers for most things motherboard related so you should be fine Wink

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Jul 2015 at 4:26am
frund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:38am
Awesome. I will have a go at this very soon maybe the weekend. I can put my files temporarily on my laptop.  Now there is light, I will report back.
 thanks MOD and all for input.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 6:12am
In case you check back, yes that CPU will have no problem, you have the ram to install a 64bit win 7.

Realtek has both your audio and Lan drivers for win 7, but they should be already installed by windows, you can check to see after what version of the driver was installed and update if need be..

If you have a problem with video card, you can get a PCI-E 2.0 x16 card from newegg for 28.00 that has directx 10.  9 is required but not set in stone.

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 6:14am
asrocking
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic