ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DeskMini 110: size of case screws?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DeskMini 110: size of case screws?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 3:45pm
I'm about to order my DeskMini, but I want to add some thumbscrews onto the order to replace the case screws. Can somebody confirm that the size is the common #6-32 (3.51 mm diameter) and not something else like the M3 (3 mm diameter).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by bogon bogon wrote:

I'm about to order my DeskMini, but I want to add some thumbscrews onto the order to replace the case screws. Can somebody confirm that the size is the common #6-32 (3.51 mm diameter) and not something else like the M3 (3 mm diameter).

The four case screws are NOT 6-32, I can tell you that since I own a DeskMini 110W.

The four case screws ARE 6-32 threaded, and the thumbscrews I tried also fit fine.

I also regularly replace the thumbscrews provided with standard PC cases with larger head (headed?) thumbscrews, so I have some to actually check if they fit. They clearly won't, simply by looking at both of the screws.

Next, while the size of DeskMini case screws appear to be the same as the screws used to hold mother boards in place on standard PC case standoffs, the threads on the DeskMini's case screws are more coarse than those screws.

Imagine the screws provided with PC PSU's, that tend to have a hex head on them, besides the philips screw driver slots. That is the type of threads on the DeskMini's four case screws, whatever size that is, I'm not sure what it is.

The four case screws are really the only thing I was less than happy about with my DeskMini 110W. They are very small. But I can see the point of using those screws, they fit the general design idea of small and clean. I found some screws with larger heads that fit perfectly, in my PC screw collection. I must warn you to not over tighten any screws on the DeskMini case, since it is all too easy to strip the threads of any small screws.

Frankly, large thumbscrews would look out of place on the DeskMini IMO, but of course that is subjective.

Edited by parsec - 16 Nov 2016 at 10:36am
bogon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:28am
thanks for the info!
bogon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 4:48am
fyi, i received word back from tech support. "the case- screws are 6-32 *L4".
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:34am
Originally posted by bogon bogon wrote:

fyi, i received word back from tech support. "the case- screws are 6-32 *L4".

Ya know what, I was wrong, wrong, wrong! I just tried a 6/32 screw and it fit fine!!

I also tried a large thumbscrew I have, the type you can get in black, blue, silver, etc, and it fit fine.

So I stand corrected. The small screws that come with the DeskMini 110 case make the screw thread size look tiny, when the screw head itself is tiny. I'll blame this on an optical illusion.

So, feel free to use those thumbscrews, as long as they are 6/32. Their length should not be a problem, as long as the threaded portion is not more than about 1/2 inch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic