ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

how can i switch to duel channel memory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericthebeerbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how can i switch to duel channel memory
    Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 11:28am
I have a Z97 Extreme4 with an Intel g3260.  The os is Windows 7 32 bit.  The mobo is supposed to run duel channel memory, but it's stuck in single channel for some reason.  I currently have 8gb of crucial Ballistyx DDR3 (2x4gb) and want to install a second pair of the same to upgrade to 16gb.  The mobo will only recognize the memory when its in slots A1 and B1.  It codes 55 when i try A1/A2 or B1/B2 configurations. 

I updated the BIOS to 2.10, but nothing has changed.

Is there a way to correct the settings, or does it even matter?  I can just yank the 8gb kit and get a 16gb kit just the same.  But, I HATE not being able to solve this issue!  i was able to build this rig (my very first one) with no trouble, so I'm geeked about getting this solved.  Call it greenhorn bravado, i guess. Tongue

any advice would be great. Thx!
It didn't explode, so i guess it's ok. BEER. NOW.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 10:29pm
Welcome to the board.

You  are in duel channel if you have two or four sticks of Ram in the correct DIMM's.  

One stick and three sticks will always run as single. 

YOU CAN'T USE A1/A2 CONFIG.

YOU CAN'T USE B1/B2 CONFIG.

The correct DIMM slot's for two sticks are A1/B1   or    A2/B2.  

You should buy a 16g kit of 4 X 4g memory.  

Can you post as to  how you know the memory was in single ? 

Edited by odiebugs - 11 Jul 2015 at 9:19am
asrocking
ericthebeerbum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericthebeerbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 10:16am
I went into the UEFI and saw on the main page that the board was in single channel. When i populate all four slots with 4gb ddr3s, the board codes (55).
It didn't explode, so i guess it's ok. BEER. NOW.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 11:13am
I assumed you were going to buy it, but if you populated all four, then you already have. 

I have tried this, non matched sets, same MFG same model but not bought together. Some have worked and some refused to work.

That's why I posted to buy a 16g KIT.  

You can make sure DIMM's are clean -  use a toothbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean them out if any dust is in them. Be sure to wait until all the alcohol is evaporated before seating the RAM again.

You must unplug PSU and make sure board power is discharged by hitting the power button a few times. 

You can clear CMOS. 

If this doesn't work, you can contact support and give them the model of the memory and see if they can check if you need a BIOS MODDED. 

P.S. Thanks for letting me know it was in UEFI, sorry but some people just say it is.

*****And in the future, try and make sure you use memory off the memory support list, this decreases the chance of having problems.

The debug code 55-  The Memory could not be detected. Please re-install the memory and CPU. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.

Basically it means to take each stick in DIMM A1 and see if each stick is detected, then try two in A1 an B1 trying different combinations to see if dual works.

Edited by odiebugs - 11 Jul 2015 at 11:24am
asrocking
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by ericthebeerbum ericthebeerbum wrote:

I have a Z97 Extreme4 with an Intel g3260.  The os is Windows 7 32 bit.  The mobo is supposed to run duel channel memory, but it's stuck in single channel for some reason.  I currently have 8gb of crucial Ballistyx DDR3 (2x4gb) and want to install a second pair of the same to upgrade to 16gb.  The mobo will only recognize the memory when its in slots A1 and B1.  It codes 55 when i try A1/A2 or B1/B2 configurations. 

I updated the BIOS to 2.10, but nothing has changed.

Is there a way to correct the settings, or does it even matter?  I can just yank the 8gb kit and get a 16gb kit just the same.  But, I HATE not being able to solve this issue!  i was able to build this rig (my very first one) with no trouble, so I'm geeked about getting this solved.  Call it greenhorn bravado, i guess. Tongue

any advice would be great. Thx!

Besides the problem in the UEFI/BIOS about recognizing all the memory you have, any 32 bit version of Windows will only recognize 4GB of memory. That is a limitation of a 32 bit OS, it cannot deal with the addresses of memory beyond 4GB with only a 32 bit binary number to work with.

The extra memory you have can be used by the ASRock XFast RAM software, to create a RAM disk.

Everything that odiebugs has told you I agree with 100%.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic