ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock U.2 sff-8639 adapter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:57am
Thanks odiebugs, I was agreeing with your earlier posts in this thread, and I still do.

Some owners of the Intel 750 NVMe SSD have reported slower booting times compared with their SATA III SSDs. The Microsoft NVMe driver seems to not work well with the Samsung NVMe version of the SM951 (or whatever it is called now.) Intel supplies an NVMe driver for the 750.

I considered an Intel 750, but got a Samsung SM951 instead. IMO, NVMe needs to get sorted out for PC use, so I'll wait a while.

I don't get the SATA Express support on mobos, not one SE SSD exists.

Samsung just announced new 2TB SSDs, not sure about the prices.

If anyone is still complaining about SSD prices, and don't have one, they are missing out on the best upgrade they could do for their PC.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:10am
Thank you, I wasn't sure but I didn't want anyone to think I think they aren't the best. 

Sorta like with a low end SSD vs Top end,  benching shows massive results but in a windows environment running software there's not much, not like with data transfer numbers.

I don't get the M2,  just seems like  it's a laptop interface and has no place in a desktop.  

I know it's off PCI-E, but there's the 750 like you said and these interface SSD's have been around a long time, just not  NV.

I haven't looked at M2,  where does it get it's driver from, is it firmware in the UEFI ? 

I see a lot of people with problems trying to boot OS from M2, and there's more problems with windows 10.  I will be looking into the win 10 problem a little, but if I was to go off the Sata 3, it will be the 750 and not a M2. 

Sata-E, I'm still laughing at that one,  it's almost like the one where Ivy bridge was needed for PCI-E 3.0, but even when you used a 3.0 hardware in it and then put it on sandy there was no difference. 

We see a lot of numbers, but we don't always get the data to use them. 

P.S.  Sure wish you had some pull with ASrock to find out when we will see 1151, LOL

Edited by odiebugs - 10 Jul 2015 at 2:18am
asrocking
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 1:26am
There are two main types of M.2 SSDs, standard SATA and the PCIe types, for a lack of better terms. The interface or "key" on those two types are different, but normally fit and work in an M.2 slot/port/interface.

The SATA M.2 SSDs are the same as a standard 2.5" SATA SSD regarding drivers, and are detected by the Intel IRST driver and Windows UI just like standard SSDs.

The PCIe SSDs like the Samsung XP941 and SM951 have their own SATA controller on the drive itself, and use the standard Windows AHCI driver, msahci or storahci.

When using these SSDs you'll get a Device Manage entry under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Standard SATA AHCI Controller. They also need the Intel UEFI compatible SATA Option ROM that is part of the UEFI/BIOS image. Plus a UEFI/BIOS update is needed before they can be bootable. These SSDs are not recognized by the IRST Windows UI, and in fact I cannot get the IRST Windows UI to install on my Z97 Extreme6 board when my SM951 is the OS drive. The IRST driver installs fine.

The main reason the PCIe M.2 SSDs are popular in desktop PCs is because they perform better (more in benchmarks than actual use IMO) than SATA SSDs. Plus they are a clean, simple installation, no cables to deal with.

Regarding Skylake information, don't forget NDA... Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic