ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DeskMini 110: Additional USB ports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mefodiy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DeskMini 110: Additional USB ports
    Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 7:53pm
How is they look like and where is to buy it? I would be glad if someone will tell. Thanx!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 10:11pm
Where to buy depends upon where you live.

I live in the USA, so I can give one example of the VESA mounting adapter from a website in the USA:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856989001&cm_re=asrock_vesa-_-56-989-001-_-Product

The USB 2.0 ports are just one piece removed from a PCI slot USB adapter that looks like this:

You can get this part from Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/CY-Dual-USB-2-0-A-Type-Female-to-Motherboard-9-Pin-Header-Cable-40cm-with/724831_1954190147.html

pinthea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinthea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:03pm
Newegg (US users) has a bundle of the DeskMini 110W (includes WiFi card) + the VESA mount + the USB 2.0 adapter (all official Asrock product).  They also sell the VESA mount and the USB 2.0 adapter separately.

I wasn't sure I'd want VESA mount since with the heat sink and hard drive(s) it might get a little heavy, so I just ordered the USB 2.0 adapter.

But I believe like the previous poster indicated, really any USB 2.0 expansion bracket should work, just unscrew the ports from the metal bracket and it should fit fine in your 110.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by pinthea pinthea wrote:

Newegg (US users) has a bundle of the DeskMini 110W (includes WiFi card) + the VESA mount + the USB 2.0 adapter (all official Asrock product).  They also sell the VESA mount and the USB 2.0 adapter separately.

I wasn't sure I'd want VESA mount since with the heat sink and hard drive(s) it might get a little heavy, so I just ordered the USB 2.0 adapter.

But I believe like the previous poster indicated, really any USB 2.0 expansion bracket should work, just unscrew the ports from the metal bracket and it should fit fine in your 110.

Thanks for reminding me, the USB port part is this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=56-989-002&utm_source=Bluecore&utm_medium=BehEmail&utm_campaign=Post_Purchase&cm_mmc=EMCPP-122016-_-PP-_-Bluecore-_-Content&obem=2vFfF2J_eC7ibIrrM27Y_rkUMbViXmqAATpyAXLnvZE%3D

The VESA mount is here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856989001

I use the VESA mount now, which is made of plastic and adds very little weight to the DeskMini.

Think about it like this: The weight of the DeskMini plus the VESA adapter is less than even a small, 18" monitor. If you mounted the monitor on a wall or a monitor stand/arm with a VESA connection, the VESA connection on the monitor must be able to support the monitor without breaking. Otherwise, it would be worthless.

So connecting the DeskMini 110 to a monitor with the VESA adapter won't be a problem at all.

Mefodiy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mefodiy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:31pm
Thanks! Now I know how it look like.. I have tried to mount a white one without metal bracket. But his plastic case bends RAM plate and chassis won't close fully (and cable too long for inner space). Unfortunately I do not live in the US and do not know where to buy it.
nikolapetrovic10000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikolapetrovic10000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:43pm
Does anyone know what is the length of the original USB ports cable? I can not find the original in my country or in any shop that ships to my country. I have the option to buy this cable, but I am not sure if I should get the 30cm or the 50cm version.

Edited by nikolapetrovic10000 - 09 Jun 2017 at 9:44pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by nikolapetrovic10000 nikolapetrovic10000 wrote:

Does anyone know what is the length of the original USB ports cable? I can not find the original in my country or in any shop that ships to my country. I have the option to buy this cable, but I am not sure if I should get the 30cm or the 50cm version.

I doubt you will need the 50cm version. Where would you put or hide 1/2 meter of cable inside the DeskMini's case?

The only thing to consider is how you want to locate the cable within the DeskMini's case. It is not easy to route a long cable under the mother board tray, and then back above it again. This cable will be above the mother board, and you won't need much cable to connect the USB ports to the case.

Just open your DeskMini case, and imagine where everything will be located. I would be very surprised if you need a 50cm cable.
nikolapetrovic10000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikolapetrovic10000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 12:05am
The problem is my Deskmini won't arrive for two weeks, and I wanted to order the cable now, so that they would arrive at approximately the same time. I guess I will order the 30cm version, it should be more than enough. Considering what you wrote, I think even 15-20cm should be enough, but I can't find any cable shorter than 30cm.
Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic