ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

The B BIOS is for Backup purposes only.

All the of the other ASRock board's I have with dual BIOS chips, which is five now, let you switch between the A and B BIOS chips, using a switch on the board.

If the A BIOS is corrupted, meaning no POST and no way to get into the BIOS, you switch to the B BIOS, start the PC into the (B) BIOS, and run the Secure Backup UEFI feature. When done, switch back to the A BIOS, that you were unable to use prior to the backup procedure. You could also stay on the B BIOS if you choose to do so.

The point of the question about this board is, how can that procedure be done without being able to switch to the B BIOS? Switching to the B BIOS is not done automatically on all the other boards with a switch. If this new board is able to do that somehow, it's not documented anywhere that I can see.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 11:40pm
I suspect the crashless feature switches to the B BIOS for post when a post issue is detected. I am not keen to mess up my BIOS A to find out though Tongue
1python1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1python1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 8:25am
im thinking of buying this...will need a walk through in the bios to get the cpu to at least 4.8,hopefully. thank you. i ll post if and when i do get the i7 7700k ;)
great review and info btw

ahh i read ur oc'ing post...seems easy enough right? my only concern is heat but this is my cooler so i should be ok

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34436028@N07/15007666828/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by 1python1 - 22 Jan 2017 at 8:59pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:25pm
Regarding the function of the "Dual BIOS" on Dual BIOS 200 series motherboards. I received a response from Tech Support:

Quote In our 200 series M/B with 2 ROM chips, there is no need to switch ROM.

If the ROM A1 is broken or failed to boot up the system, the system could back up the ROM B1 data to A1 automatically.

After that, the system could work well, so we do not need to change the ROM chip in BIOS setting or jumper on M/B.

Many thanks to ASRock Tech Support. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by 1python1 1python1 wrote:

im thinking of buying this...will need a walk through in the bios to get the cpu to at least 4.8,hopefully. thank you. i ll post if and when i do get the i7 7700k ;)
great review and info btw

ahh i read ur oc'ing post...seems easy enough right? my only concern is heat but this is my cooler so i should be ok

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34436028@N07/15007666828/in/dateposted-public/

I can't guarantee 4.8ghz but it is very likely you will be able to reach it yes. So long as you don't get very unlucky with the silicon lottery. 

That cooler should be more than adequate Wink 
Kaus_Debonair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaus_Debonair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:41am
Hey hey I just purchased my mobo and put everything together and it worked. One catch is that on boot up the POST is taking a very long time. Once I get the mobo splash screen it jumps to windows 10 and destroys the startup which is great.

Timing it takes 25 seconds and up for the post to finish. After that 5 seconds to get into windows desktop. I was playing around in the bios and saw the Xtreme bootup option and enabled it. Sadly on restart it only boots to the bios over and over again until I disable that option. I am watching the debugger for clues and looking at all the bios options but I can't find how to bring that post time down.

Any ideas since you have one would be great, I would be forever in your debt.

P.S. To reiterate the PC once booted up is great and my specs are below.

CPU: i7-7700K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 SDRAM 3200
Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC
HD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 2.5
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H105
Hi
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:47am
A number of things can slow down the post process, most commonly RAM and storage. Fortunately it's pretty easy to test. 

I would pull the SSD and any other drives from the board (cables only) and see how fast you post with them disconnected. You can also try pulling the GPU and using the iGPU, that can also slow post times. By post I am referring to the amount of time before you begin booting, this includes the time it takes for the ASRock logo to show. 

My post times are fairly slow too, like yourself, once post completes the system is blazing fast. Personally I suspect memory training, in which case there isn't much to be done about it. It may improve with BIOS updates in the future.

I did notice that with my particular RAM that if I disable XMP (defaults to 2133) it posts significantly faster. For me slow boot times aren't an issue as I generally never turn off my PC. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 3:43pm
Review updated on page 1

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4159&PID=21804
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic