ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] PCIe Gen 3 4x not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

This issue has come up before and the last time it did the user posting got very agitated. They cited the same board as "proof" that the AM3+ platform supports PCIe 3.0. The fact is, the AMD 900 chipset series (and earlier) do not support PCIe 3.0. ASUS used some clever trickery to force "support" on that board. Users owning that board however determined that while it allows devices to be detected as PCIe 3.0 it does not in fact run at PCIe 3.0 speeds. 

No one here is trying to call you a liar Wink

Posting a second thread because this one was marked solved comes off as argumentative. When it comes to AMD I don't know anyone more knowledgeable than Wardog.

It seems Wardog took the time to explain things in not one but 2 threads. 

The truth hurts.
floydstime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

This issue has come up before and the last time it did the user posting got very agitated. They cited the same board as "proof" that the AM3+ platform supports PCIe 3.0. The fact is, the AMD 900 chipset series (and earlier) do not support PCIe 3.0. ASUS used some clever trickery to force "support" on that board. Users owning that board however determined that while it allows devices to be detected as PCIe 3.0 it does not in fact run at PCIe 3.0 speeds. 

No one here is trying to call you a liar Wink

Posting a second thread because this one was marked solved comes off as argumentative. When it comes to AMD I don't know anyone more knowledgeable than Wardog.

It seems Wardog took the time to explain things in not one but 2 threads. 

I feel you... It isn't about the answer, it's about the arrogance he/she portrayed.  It's unnecessary.  People get agitated trying to figure out problems.  Computers are a mother... Parsec did an excellent job politely correcting and explaining the issue, which is what any visitor should expect.  I agree that posting again does come off as argumentative, but so does marking a topic as solved without ensuring that the poster has figured out what is going on.  I digress, the problem is now solved.  But I am trying to figure another issue out.  

So... PCIe link speed is 8gps max right?  Why is my drive showing 10 gbs max?  I am still confused about this.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:13am
Humbly I'll add on occasion people, Me, get agitated helping others trying to figure out their problems. No harm No foul was intended. The E-7 of my past speaking if you will

Oh! It's your M.2 MZVLW128HEGR (PM961) drive that show 10. We were, I'll assume, I was for sure, believing you were referring to the PCIe slots that cards fit into.

That M.2 slot is a horse of another color when referring to throughput, PCIe headers/slots vs M.2 PCIe lanes.

The M.2 is afforded more throughput as it has IIRC a direct path and more lanes attached to afford that throughput.

I'm lousy at explaining this. parsec, Xaltar. or other will come along and give a more detailed explanation.

.. wardog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:53am
Well this E-6 is reads you loud and clear... lol  I understand more than you know ...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by floydstime floydstime wrote:

Well this E-6 is reads you loud and clear... lol  I understand more than you know ...

Yea. I made Chesty proud.

Here in the forums though it plods on more like Semper Gumby.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 5:19am
Well Gunny, I hope to not swim with Davie Jones...  at least for another 3 years... Those who are flexible, shall not be broken!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by floydstime floydstime wrote:

I feel you... It isn't about the answer, it's about the arrogance he/she portrayed.  It's unnecessary.  People get agitated trying to figure out problems.  Computers are a mother... Parsec did an excellent job politely correcting and explaining the issue, which is what any visitor should expect.  I agree that posting again does come off as argumentative, but so does marking a topic as solved without ensuring that the poster has figured out what is going on.  I digress, the problem is now solved.  But I am trying to figure another issue out.  

So... PCIe link speed is 8gps max right?  Why is my drive showing 10 gbs max?  I am still confused about this.

That version of the Samsung Magician software is not displaying the link connection correctly. Hard to believe but it's true. Samsung finally changed it in their latest version, try this one (sorry for the text link, the forum link tool has a problem with some URLs):

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/consumer.html?target=2

When Samsung can't get it right, you know it's confusing. Confused

You can use any SSD listed on that page to get the Magician software from, they are all the same.

In case you didn't know, the Magician software does not officially support the PM961. That model is considered an OEM only model, not packaged for and not meant to be sold normally at retail. I have a Samsung SM951 which is also OEM only, and the Magician software does not fully support it either. The information displayed for these SSDs may not be correct.

To review:

PCIe 3.0: One lane is 8Gbps.

PCIe 2.0: One lane is 5Gbps.

PCIe 1.0: One lane is 2.5Gbps.

Your board's PCIe slot should be PCIe 2.0 x4, and the adapter card should connect to four PCIe lanes.

So (PCIe 2.0) 5Gbps x 4 = 20Gbps.

Is this the Syba adapter card you are using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124167
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic